One print per day then it gets stuck on focus

Okay then…one other thing that support has been requesting recently is the following process…if you want to run it now and reply to the automatic email reply with the requested information support will be able to take a look at it.

Could you please do the following?

1. Turn your Glowforge off completely
  2. wait about 30 seconds
  3. Hold down the button on your Glowforge for ten seconds, until it glows with a teal color
  4. Your Glowforge is now broadcasting a temporary Wi-Fi access point. Connect your computer to “Glowforge XXX-XXX” (from your Wi-Fi Settings)
  5. Visit the following URL in your browser: http://192.168.192.1:3000/logs/zip
  6. A .zip file should download to your computer
  7. Reconnect to your usual Wi-Fi network and email the .zip file to support@glowforge.com.

When you email the zip file you can just send a reply to the automatic email response that they send out…it keeps everything for your case on the same ticket and will speed things up for you.

1 Like

Support is worthless so far.

1 Like

When did you contact them?

1 Like

Scratch that…are you opening up the lid while the machine is still running the fan to clear it? You might be locking it up.

Wait until the message on the screen says the print is finished and the 5 clicks stop, then open the lid.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble.

I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate the problem, and it seems like your unit is running into trouble during the calibration step in which the lens focuses inside the printer head (you may hear this when it’s happening - there’s an audible “ticking” sound as the lens moves up and down in the head). There are a few different reasons this error may be occurring. Could you please check a few things for me to help narrow it down?

1. Check the printer head lens by following steps 1-5 from these instructions: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/cleaning-service-and-moving/cleaning#things-that-need-wiping. If you see anything unusual such as damage to the lens or debris in the printer head, please take a photo of it and attach it to your reply
  2. If you are using magnets to secure material to the crumbtray of your Glowforge, please remove or reposition them and try again. Magnets placed close to the printer head may cause trouble during calibration
  3. Check the connection of the printer head to the white ribbon cable in the printer arm. Turn off your Glowforge, unplug the head, and plug it back in. Note whether the cable plugs back in securely, and whether you feel it “click” into place

Let us know how it goes!

Again. I’ve done all this. Why would the machine run on print. Then immediately go into focus. It has to sit for at least 8-12 hours then it boots up perfectly and will do ONE print.

Thank you for working through these steps, and for sending over these images.

Now that you have worked through those instructions, I’d like to monitor a more recent print from today to see if the same behavior is occurring. When you have a moment, could you please do the following?

Turn off your Glowforge, then turn it back on

We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place Proofgrade Draftboard in the bed and load the Gift of Good Measure design.

Set the score and engrave steps to ‘ignore.’ Print the Gift of Good measure using the default settings. Allow the print to finish.

When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture of the bed updates.

Check the completed print:

If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut, please let us know the date and time of the print

If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you saw the issue with, and let us know the results.

If the issue still occurs, please let us know the date and time of the finished print. We’ll review the logs, and send over the next best steps.

Thank you!

where do I get this?

The second it was done printing it went right back stuck on focus

It was printed at 4:58 pm est time

Stuck like usual won’t even focus back in. If the machine sits another 12 hours it’ll be good for one print a day. This is ridiculous

Jules, I really think it’s this update they did. This kind of stuff is popping up everywhere and the only common factor is the update. I mean I’m only using logic but I could be wrong.

I agree with you %100 no one wants to do a thing about it. It’s a BRAND NEW MACHINE FRESH OUT OF THE BOX AND THEY TAKE DAYS TO RESPOND. IM RETURNING IT MONDAY

They give the same answer to clean a brand new machine to stall.

If they are trying to find an error in the software, it generally takes a LOT longer than it would for a quick mechanical fix with our machines, guys. First it has to be identified as an issue, which doesn’t happen if only one or two people get hit with a problem. We (a handful of customers) try to walk you through eliminating simple mechanical issues before the team gets involved, and eliminating those common issues is what enables them to see that multiple people have been impacted by the bug. Now they need to find it, fix and test it to make sure it doesn’t impact anything else.

Unfortunately, a software fix requires a little more patience than a mechanical issue.

@brettlemieux, they will respond back when they have your issue identified and resolved. It might or might not be the same issue that other people are experiencing. But they will contact you when they have the next steps set up for you to take. If you can’t wait for that, you can certainly return the machine. (That would be a mistake in my opinion.) Software glitches on rollout are pretty rare. I’ve only seen a couple with this company, and many, many more with others. But they are necessary to set the stage for improvements that are coming down the road.

3 Likes

I’ll drop this here too.

FYI. Anyone in the community can flag posts. Enough flags gets it bumped to company moderators.

Your cut lines are really thick – make sure the lens isn’t upside-down in the head. There should be a little arrow on the housing that points up into the head.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for the delay in our response. Thank you for helping Marc go through this troubleshooting. Based on the results of our investigation, your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.