One years worth of gunk on my fan

Good point, it is only 10 minutes. It just never gets clean and it bothers me, little OCD I guess :slight_smile:

I have a newer one then. I could only imagine a honeycomb one, geeze.

2 Likes

I have a great way to clean the exhaust fan on a pro. Eric takes my air compressor and the air blows off all the gunk.

An airbrush is connected to the compressor —-he then directs the airflow coming from the airbrush into the fan blades.

1. Remove the dryer vent hose from the back of the GF.
  2. Take a plastic bag from the grocery store and attach to the back exhaust fan port.
  3. Then spray the air compressor air into the fan blades. It only takes 10-15 seconds.

This is also the way I clean the air assist fan. The exhaust fan gets air compressor blasted every 10 hours. The air assist fan gets air compressor blasted every 2 hours of use.

Before the air assist fan gets air blasted —-I place a slightly damp paper towel under the gantry to catch all of gunk.

The Glowforge is ALWAYS unplugged from the wall when cleaning the fans.

6 Likes

Awesome, thanks! Where do you find the number of hours used? I tried to look once and was unsuccessful.

1 Like

There’s no way to know how many hours you’ve run it…except to keep track of it on your own.

2 Likes

Ths GF interface shows the time for a project and I record it. I always round up the number. For example if the interface shows a print will be 4 minutes and 36 seconds— I round up to 5 minutes.

This is a sample

Friday April 23. 2021

1. 6 minutes — C/E —4oz. leather
  2. 15 minutes— (E) 8oz leather
  3. 8 minutes. C/E 1/8 birch wood —Total-3 projects —29 minutes

At the end of the week I will add up all the daily totals

3 Likes

Thank you for the feedback; it’s wonderful to have you here with us.

1 Like

Ok I see. I thought there was a total hours clock kind like on a generator or something. I do know that “they” know. I got an anniversary email that told me how many hours I used it, how many jobs printed, and maybe feet of product I cut or something. I thought it was kind of cool, but I would have thought I had access to that info :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Totally agree. There is no reason it couldn’t be countersunk from the outside in back. That would leave the screws accessible. May not be as pretty, but I’m a “function over form” kind of guy.

2 Likes

Me too, especially when the item is this pricey.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.