Optimizing Engraving

Is there a trick to optimizing SVG files so that the GF engraves them as quickly as possible? It seems to want to break up the art into pieces, even though it is all engraving. Just curious if there is a way to group items so that the machine works more quickly.

It depends on the specific file. If you feel comfortable uploading it here, we can offer direct tips.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
The Glowforge interface works with colors, so setting objects to the same color sort of groups them. If you have multiple copies of the same item, you can rasterize your file before opening it in the Glowforge interface. Sometimes rotating your file on the interface speeds process time.

It would probably be most helpful if you would share a screenshot of a specific file that you want to process faster so the community can see what parts are being engraved separately.

1 Like

It’s been my experience that if you don’t group the objects of the same colors, they will still show up separately in the GFUI. In Adobe Illustrator it’s the Unite option in the Pathfinder tool. There are other ways, too, but I’m not the real expert–just a guy who has fumbled my way through some AI issues.

1 Like

Yeah… again:

We can guess at lots of things, but without seeing the file we’re just spinning our wheels :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! It must be a color issue - I can see now that although everything looks to be set to black, some are 0 - 0 - 0 and some are 31 - 31- 31 on the RGB scale. I will try that and see what happens!

1 Like

It may seem that way, but 100% if you double check I guarantee that some of those are 0-0-0 and some are 0-0-1 (or some are filled and some are stroked). If they’re truly identical they’ll come up as a single command much to the chagrin of someone who didn’t want that to happen! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.