Orange Blinking Light - Broken Belt

This issue has been solved

1 Like

Ouch. I hope a Glowforge is available in your area to help at this time.

The air assist fan is almost as bad as I have seen. Wonder if the air flow has been compromised so much that it allowed for some flair up to concentrate some heat on that belt somewhere along the line. That is an odd failure.

Getting that belt replaced and the fan cleaned, along with the carriage paths should get you back in operation, but I’d definitely check all the motion control parts to ensure that you are getting unrestricted movement.

2 Likes

You have had a fire in your machine that has damaged the belt and the fan. You will need to replace both before you can use the machine again. The fire may have also damaged the print head.

You will also want to look back on your previous work to attempt to determine what caused the fire that caused this damage so you can make sure it doesn’t happen again.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response! It’s crazy I didn’t even realize there was a fire. I used some plywood that wasn’t proofgrade last week and I’m thinking that’s what did it. Hoping the print head isn’t damaged too :frowning:

The bubbles on the edges of the fan are from where it was melted in the fire. The black soot stain on the head carrier and the melted edges on the belt teeth are what gave it away, plus the fact that the belt is damaged in only one place and that place isn’t close to where the pulley is.

This would have been a pretty obvious fire to do this much damage, not just a brief flare-up, or your air assist fan was not working. You may need to examine your safety processes and cleaning and maintenance processes.

As you are running a business, you now see the importance of a backup plan. While you wait for the replacement parts, you may want to consider your options for what happens the next time the machine goes down. There will be a next time since mechanical systems break down and there will be a delay as you are using a machine that does not come with business level support.

1 Like

While I have provided an explanation, you will need to contact GF and let them know you need replacement parts if you haven’t already. I am not sure if you mentioned that in the original post, but I wanted to make sure!

Yes, I contacted them… waiting to hear back. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.