Orion constellation

IMG_3064

Needed to come up with a birthday present for my husband - something I hadn’t made him yet. He loves to stargaze. I asked him what his favorite constellation is. He didn’t hesitate: Orion. Awhile back I had bought a set of constellation svgs from DesignCuts and I had a set of space related card stock in my Amazon wishlist literally for years. Also had a set of tiny lights you can recharge with a usb connection. Suddenly it all came together. Made a simple stand of clear acrylic. Cut the card stock to size (11x11), and both have the constellation pattern cut out. Then I taped the box to the bottom on the back and taped each light behind each hole. Pretty simple really. And a very surprised and happy husband - I do these things when he’s not home (hard to do during lockdown).

36 Likes

My favorite too! Great gift!

1 Like

Thanks - it is fun when it all works out.

What a great idea, and what a nice coming together of supplies! I’m sure he was very pleased with it…

1 Like

Better start thinking of what to make for next year right now, because this is going to be hard to top. Nice job.

1 Like

It’s true… I’ve made him so many things already…

The galaxy is on Orion’s belt…

7 Likes

That is really beautiful!!!

1 Like

That is the first thing I thought of too! LOL :sunglasses:

2 Likes

:smiley: I thought of Van Gogh & Starry Night which isn’t really close but they feel the same to me.

2 Likes

I only wish Orion was a summer constellation. It has cool things to see i.e. horsehead nebula and Orion nebula. But it’s usually very cold to drag out the telescope.

2 Likes

I know the pic I used isn’t ideal, but it works. I could have obtained a high quality Hubble photo and done the same thing… but it would still just be an idea in my head. :rofl:

I have seen the Orion Nebula a few times through the telescope, and Andromeda, another favorite. :star2:

1 Like

That is a very nice project - I can see why he loves it!

1 Like

Nothing wrong with the pic. It’s meant to be artwork, not a mounted photo… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, very cool!

1 Like