Oudenhofmolen Anno 1783

Drove by this mill one day and wandered if I could cut this on the Glowforce. So the next day I came back with my camera and shot pictures of all angles and started to draw and make this mill.

It’s been made 99.8 % on de Glowforce except for the obvious things like axes and used needle file set and sand paper a few times.

The mill was rebuild in 1783 after the original mill was burned down. It’s unknown when exactly the original was build.

To make this I used:

My drawings

(To make the curved wings drawings a friend helped.

He is a magician in combine surfaces in Autocad.)

MDF 3mm

MDF 4mm

Cherry veneer

2 axes

2 bearings

2 beads

2 Needles

M6 Screw with bold

Acrylic paint

Scenery stuff (grass and water)

glue

Name Oudenhofmolen
Type Hollow post mill
Function Polder drainage windmill
Location Floralaan 52
2343 VS Oegstgeest
NL GPS X: 92482 Y: 466915
show on map
show in Google Streetview

https://en.molendatabase.nl/nederland/molen.php?nummer=1072

Hope you enjoy the project!

59 Likes

31 Likes

Wow! Great job!!

10 Likes

The details are perfect!

10 Likes

Amazing piece! Is the other still in use? I have always wondered how they set the cloth sails to variably cover the different arms to match the current wind.

9 Likes

Got a guess as to how long the whole project took you to complete? Like how many hours of actual work?

8 Likes

That is a wonderful representation of the mill. I loved the photos of the actual building, and I would really like to see it on a nice day when the ducks are enjoying the water.

11 Likes

Yes the mill stands in the middle of my home town. It use to be grassland for miles. Now they made a pond around it and a little park. But it still turns from time to time.

9 Likes

If you have the drawings you can easily build it in a week :blush: But to glue the roof and base is glued layer after layer so it takes some time to glue it together. To get the curves in de wings means that every joint has a different angle and are all separate parts so it takes at least a day to glue together.

But I started to draw in may 2021 and change parts because I didn’t like the proportions and been in and out of the hospital this year. So you can do it in a few weeks :blush: but I would take your time for it :blush:

18 Likes

There are still 100ers of these small mills here with lots of ducks :blush: so you don’t have to look hard!

9 Likes

Lovely!

11 Likes

That looks fabulous! We’ve been watching a lot of “rebuild” shows from the UK and love seeing the windmills there. Great job!

10 Likes

This is very impressive. You’ve captured the details beautifully. Great work!

9 Likes

I love it! Your design skills are amazing.

8 Likes

This is great!

8 Likes

Beautiful! I admire your design talent and your patience.

6 Likes

This is truly stunning!

5 Likes

Thank you all for the nice reply’s
I didn’t design it by the way I am not that old :slight_smile:
You had a lot of clever people in the 1500 and 1600 :slight_smile:
We still have dry feet, even if we are 7 meters below sea level!

10 Likes

This brings back fond memories of my visit to Holland back in 1990.

I love your work. Hope you are feeling better.

6 Likes

i am fine for now :slight_smile:

3 Likes