Our kids' bus driver is retiring

Yesterday, we learned that the long time bus driver for our children’s school is retiring and today is her last day.

She said she didn’t want to make a big deal about it and not to get her anything. Fine, I “made” something instead!

I was aiming for light-hearted and cartoony, like the “magic school bus”.

I was going to make it another layered art piece, with a driver in the window and seats with kids in them in the back, but just didn’t have enough time.

We engraved the back with message about how much we will miss her.

Made from light cherry proofgrade ply.

38 Likes

That’s a really nice looking school bus. I am sure she will love it.

5 Likes

Here is the template (personal use only, not for sale) if anyone wants to create their own:

Layered Bus (template v1)

I ended up adding a couple layers on the back to make it more stable as it stands.

11 Likes

lol. I was looking at that and going “Wait a minute!! Where to those other two little wheel thingies go??”
This is a great design and a welcome share.

4 Likes

There are adults in children’s lives that will always be remembered by the children.

The bus driver and the cafeteria ladies.

Great project!!

4 Likes

That is just adorable. Thanks for the share!

7 Likes

She’s going to treasure that!

7 Likes

Aww, what a thoughtful gift. I’m sure she was very touched.

Both my husbands (one at a time :grin:) drove the “special” school bus during their college years. My favorite husband (the one I’ve been married to for 36 years) has spoken many times with fondness of those experiences.

3 Likes

What a great gift - thanks for honoring her!

3 Likes

She’s going to love receiving this gift! Very nice! And thank you so much for the generously sharing your design!

2 Likes

I absolutely love the sentiment on the back! Wonderful work!!

4 Likes

That is a wonderful design.

6 Likes