Out of the blue

Out of the blue. This afternoon I got a call from a fellow who said he got my name from Google while looking for engravers. Go figure!
He is getting married and has purchased two Mercer kitchen knives as Groomsmen gifts.
The knife information says the handle is ebony and it looks like real wood.
The handles are six sided and he wants a name engraved on one up facing side and “Groomsman” below on the adjacent side.
I don’t see any problem with a jig to hold the knife steady and at the correct angle. The handle is 1 inch thick so no problem with the crumb tray.
My question is about the material. Has anyone had experience engraving these knives? Is it really ebony?
I discussed the problem of engraving black and suggested Rub n Buff (gold).
Any comments, suggestions, ideas greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

In hardness it’s close to Purpleheart depending on exactly which type - and I engraved (an unpolished piece of that ) using PG medium basswood hardwood settings…which goes to show the variation in laser strength and wood strength is wild!

I don’t think you’ll have issue, but I’d suggest coating it with masking, starting there and going up leaving it in the machine until you like the finished look!

3 Likes

Definitely engrave thru masking then fill the engraved area before removing remaining masking. Real knives should never go thru a dishwasher anyway so what you use for fill shouldn’t matter - could be just about anything.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.