Out Of This World Ukulele

This very special ukulele was made for Apollo 13 Lunar Module Pilot Fred Haise. The front inlay depicts Fred and Jim on the moon, something that a ruptured oxygen tank prevented from happening. The back has Freddo’s mission patches cut from dyed veneer. The Apollo 13 patch and the Space Shuttle Approach and Landing Test Patch. The fingerboard is inlaid with a space shuttle, command module, lunar module and astronaut wings. The headstock has the moon and a cutout of the command service module linked with the lunar module, inside the cutout is an actual flown piece of netting that Fred cut out of the lunar module, Aquarius just before they cut it lose before re-entry into earth’s atmosphere. A poem, written by Fred’s granddaughter is engraved on the inside of the ukulele.

I was honored to be able to present this instrument to The Renaissance man himself at an Apollo event this last week. Needless to say, Fred was elated for his new gift.

64 Likes

It’s beautiful!

10 Likes

I don’t have the words to express how amazing and meaningful this is!

12 Likes

Oh wow!! Just wow!! What a wonderful memory for him. Amazing work!

11 Likes

A wonderful commemorative salute expressed with skilled craftsmanship! The details are :kissing_heart: :ok_hand:
I have a question, what do the red stripes on the one helmet signify?

7 Likes

Thank you so much. It was truly a labor of love and respect for someone I admired as a kid and now get to call friend.

9 Likes

Unless I’m mistaken , the red stripes on the helmet and arms identify the wearer as the mission commander.

12 Likes

Thank you very much. The red stripe s you see on the helmet, both arms and two on the ankles signify the mission commander. Starting with Apollo 13 all commanders wore stripes, this both signifies the commander and allows the astronauts to be told apart while on the moon. Great question. Jim Lovell also added a Navy sticker to his EVA helmet, that’s the blue square you see there.

13 Likes

Awesome work - great fan!

5 Likes

Your work is absolutely gorgeous - and the smile on Cmdr Haise’s face is worth the price of admission!

Does he play?

8 Likes

Simply epic. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Looks amazing

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing this work of art. Wonderful tribute, and a great tribute to your skill.

7 Likes

That’s beautiful work but the best part is seeing how truly happy he looks in the photos.

You know, if someone were to commemorate my greatest accomplishments in such a way, I don’t think it would have the same impact.

• Ate a whole bag of Cool Ranch Doritos in an afternoon
  • Atop the Quake 2 deathmatch leaderboard that one time
  • Many TPS reports filed with proper cover sheets
  • Have never been bitten by a horse

I think the art on the front of my uke should be a balding man at a desk with his head in his hands.

I do play the uke a little bit so we should talk about the project.

14 Likes

That is totally amazing!

4 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

It was a great presentation and Fred was very moved. He doesn’t play yet but he just finished his book, so he’s got sone time to learn.

5 Likes

Thank you for the compliment. As for your tribute, that’s fantastic. This is awesome and could be a monument to the Everyman. I’m on board! It can be totes around in a Pabst Blue Ribbon box with a garden hose as a strap.

5 Likes

Hahaha! We are a resourceful bunch.

5 Likes

Wow. I love this to the Moon! And back.

9 Likes