Overheat

I am really disappointed as I can’t use my Glowforge in my office when temperature reaches 30°C (86° F) as Glowforge shows a message for cooling only after a few seconds of usage.

Windows are wide open and smooth wind blows on my Glowforge.

So I letGlowforge whide open and powered off for an hour. Then I tried to make same cut shape at 1/3 of power to avoid overheating. With this setting cooling down message arrived before starting to print and print never start.

What can I do to enable print ? Shall I wait for the night as I have no AC in my office ?!?

Any suggestion ?

Unfortunately, that’s outside the operating temperature as stated in the manual.

2 Likes

My PRO finally hit the mark during this hot spell. It stops and starts at 82-83.

My attached workshop is usually warmer or colder than the main house since do not have the vents opened wide. I solved that 82 problem by opening the vents full for an hour, but I put them back when done. Really do not need that shop as cool as house all the time.

That is what I am doing during this heat wave week. I just cooled the shop to finish the project I was on, then returned for more after dinner.

Not sure that will be enough in your case though.
Have you thought about a portable cooler unit that can blow on the glowforge before and during usage? Set up to blow into open door for a cooling period then shift to blow towards bottom right?

I have a Honeywell one that works very well in outside shack when need to be in there for any length of time and only cost about $350 american.

Some others here have built cardboard igloos to assist in the cool also.

1 Like

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/search/sss?sort=rel&query=air+conditioner

Replace the city name “atlanta” with whatever city/region you’re looking for.

Your success rate will probably be proportional to the size of your city, but in ATL, there are units to be had for $100. I use a small window unit in my workshop to cool the GF, I’ve had no overheats in 100F/37C heat. Without the AC my shop would get up to 85-90F during the day, so the AC is necessary.

Yeah I noticed that limit after posting.
So I’ll wait for night.
Thk

Air conditioning is much less ubiquitous outside of the US. One of the few reasons for me to stay in this country.

1 Like

I posted our solution (using AC, which is expensive but bulletproof) here: Our overheating solution

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

@geko

Your Glowforge Pro features a closed-loop liquid cooling system that uses the air from the room to remove heat. It’s boosted by a solid-state thermoelectric cooler that allows for heavier use at higher ambient temperatures than the Basic. It is designed to print in an operating environment between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 81 degrees Fahrenheit (27 Celsius). Printing outside these ranges may cause your unit to pause before starting, or to pause periodically during the print for cooling. This isn’t harmful, but it can make your print take a little longer.

You can try any of these things to improve warm-weather performance:

• Try printing with no material on the bed (so as not to generate smoke and fumes) and no exhaust hose attached. If this works, then the problem may be that your exhaust hose is constricting the flow of air out of the unit, preventing cooling.
  • Examine the bottom-right side of your Glowforge. There are air intake vents, and if they become obstructed, it could make cooling less effective.
  • Try pointing a fan at the right side of your Glowforge. If there is warm air around the intake, this could help it cool off.
  • Power off your Glowforge and allow it to cool, then power it on and print immediately. When it sits idle, the fans are off, so heat can build up.
  • Just wait. Your print may take a little longer when it’s warm, but your Glowforge will protect itself and make sure it cools enough to prevent any loss of power or damage. And it’s clever enough to pick up from exactly where it left off, even if it loses Wi-Fi during the print!

I’m going to close this topic, but please post a new one if you have any other questions.

1 Like