Overheated yesterday, today won't reset

My Glowforge overheated yesterday cutting black acrylic. I noticed the fan wasn’t as loud as it usually is and more fumes than normal were coming out of the machine. I turned it off, let it cool overnight, and it will not work today. The room is 72. I took off the hose and there was quite a bit of black soot on the fan- I did my best to clean that up. I’ve also rebooted and reconnected to the WIFI. Any other tips?

I still have the yellow light and the machine is stuck on focusing .

1 Like

You may need to clean your exhaust fan more completely and cool the room. Also, check underneath the lower right corner of your machine to make sure the air intake area is clear.

1 Like

I have gone through all of the cleaning instructions to clean the lenses and have cleaned the exhaust fan more with a small straw bottle brush. The air flow is good and the room is cool. I have rechecked all cable clips and they’re secure.

Hmmm, not sure what to check next?

1 Like

Since focus doesn’t need the laser, it doesn’t really heat anything up. What’s more, if it’s too hot, I don’t think the GF goes through the startup calibration, it just says “too hot”. I think your problem is likely unrelated to the temperature now. However, if the machine overheated, depending on why, you might have experienced a hardware failure. For example, an electronic component may have been overheating to begin with, and the overheat event pushed it past the brink and it failed. If power cycling once didn’t fix it, it’s unlikely to be something you can fix. :frowning:

1 Like

I’m afraid you might be correct. Do you happen to know the next steps if it’s a hardware failure? I have had my GF for almost 3 months.

1 Like

You opened a support ticket by posting here, official support will be along and help figure out what the issue is.

1 Like

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.

1 Like