Paint rack for miniature paints

I’m not using a GF yet (don’t have one). On a 60W laser at the maker space, I cut at a speed of about 20% with 100% power.

2 Likes

Hmm…maybe that’s the difference?! 60W at 100% power and that slow of a speed makes me wonder if the GF will handle it.

EDIT: @polarbrainfreeze, love your work BTW!

2 Likes

I would be surprised if the 40W was not enough to cut through it. You might have to use a slightly slower speed.
I can cut through 1/4" MDF with the 60W (at 8% speed mind you).

The good news is that it cost less than $5 to try it out. The material is pretty cheap.

4 Likes

True 'dat! And nothing else, I’m sure a saw will work just fine! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Also note that what I’m buying at my home depot might be different than what you are buying. You need to research if it’s safe for you and your machine.

I have not done much research on it, because my local maker-space says “yep, that’s safe to use in our machines”. I took their word for it. I may research more what’s in MDF or hardboard before I actually use it in my Glowforge.

1 Like

Oh, the organization! I don’t think I would have wanted something this tall, holding this much weight with anything less thick than what you used.

1 Like

Cool!

2 Likes

Home Depot MDF contains formaldehyde so make sure you don’t have any leaks in your vent hose and leaving in the GF for a little extra time wouldn’t hurt to really make sure it is aired out.

I’m not sure you will want to cut MDF if you are using a the air filter when it comes out due to how quickly i hear it clogs them up. Some maker spaces don’t allow it due to that reason, but venting out the window should be ok.

2 Likes

I did hear you are getting one someday.

Good to know for the formaldehyde. My venting is not sufficient currently, I got some smoke coming into the room, so I’m backing off from using that MDF for now.

and I do have a dry cough today, so I’m not cutting that again unless I get rubber seals on the window

Draftboard :smiling_face: Love the stuff. Using a lot less Baltic Birch now :smiling_face:

4 Likes

Wow! @polarbrainfreeze Your creations are amazing!

2 Likes

I tried tempered hardboard from Lowes in the K40. It bareley scratched it. I don’t think even a Pro could cut it reasonably.

1 Like

I need to either find or start designing some terrain designs for when I get my :glowforge:

3 Likes

My PRU is cutting 3/8" . 170". Not exactly fast but clean.

1 Like

I’m hoping to eventually sell my designs (in the GF store if possible, online otherwise). But I want to refine the designs before selling them. And to refine them, I need to have my own GF first.

5 Likes

I know I’ll buy some if they are at all reasonable, you do great work. I do wish we had even a hint of how “curated” the store is going to be. If it will be lightly curated it will work for most, if heavy we will need to all decide on where to meet and sell each other designs. I’m thinking Etsy, we would just need to agree on a key word so everyone can find everyone else’s designs.

2 Likes

Nice to know! Another cheap material!
Was it lowes, Home Depot or other?

1 Like

I want to say Lowes but I’ve had it for so long that I’m not sure, could be Home Depot. Those are our two local stores.

1 Like