Pallet Coaster

I wanna see a stack of mini Glowforges pallet-wrapped onto it. Super cute @jules!

9 Likes

If you made it out of PG Maple it would be washable :slight_smile:

Piling on @hansena’s suggestion - if you have flashing lights on the tree your GF button will pulse too :smile:

6 Likes

Mmmm… I dunno about that… My :proofgrade: maple curled into the letter C when I put water on it.

1 Like

Hardwood or ply? Now I’m going to have to do some testing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hardwood. I’d engraved something into it, then gently rubbed a sponge with water on it to remove some smoke. Within just several seconds, it began to curl. I’m no wood-worker. So I don’t know if it was the rubbing action or the temperature of the water or what. I just know the result.

I might still have it. I was going to trash it, but my Wife thought it was cool so I don’t remember if she let me toss it.

EDIT: Looks like I still have it. I swear it was considerably more curled than this. Either I’m mistaken, or it flattened back out a bit:

8 Likes

I’ve got some puzzles like that - just from humidity. And it’s just the hardwood that seems to do that - the ply seems more stable (which makes sense because there are counter balancing layers with the grain offset).

6 Likes

I’ll be looking forward to see that!!

:slight_smile:

(For those who aren’t familar, Bruder in Germany makes REALLY, REALLY awesome toys that are “just like the real thing”. I am waiting for my son to be old enough to start buying him their toys…)

21 Likes

When I washed one of my engravings on :proofgrade: maple hardwood, the same thing happened. It curled up significantly. However, after a day or two of drying out, it flattened out again.

3 Likes

yeah, this is common to wood. you should have seen our floor when the aquarium spontaneously broke a couple of years ago. hardly noticeable, now.

4 Likes

So great!

That would be irresponsible. You should do the proper concerned & caring parent thing by buying them now so you can test them for safety & durability so when he’s old enough you’ll know you’ve done all you could to insure his safety :smile:

10 Likes

Dad to his 3 year old - “Look what Dad got you Son! A gas powered remote control helicopter!!”

6 Likes

So maybe clamping it between a couple of books would yield a good result.

1 Like

I keep water off the work and use alcohol and a toothbrush, blot dry. Doesn’t swell the wood like water.

5 Likes

I usually just stack a few of my heavier books on top of the wood, but clamps would work just as well.

1 Like

Yep. Thin sheets of wood warp a lot. But they flatten when they dry unless you keep them in the warped shape. (Here’s another issue: they may warp just from humidity, especially if they have finish on one side but not the other.)

4 Likes

Awesome!!

Sometimes wiping the other side with water and letting it dry will warp it back flat.

4 Likes

I almost tried that. And then I felt like I’d be Ferris Bueller trying to put the car in reverse to take the miles off the odometer. :wink:

8 Likes