Parametric Box generator

You can get cans of Acetone at the hardware store. Nail polish removers are (or at least used to be) mostly acetone, but they often have other stuff added as well.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips @jacobturner One more I just learned the hard wayā€¦ when sealing up an acrylic enclosure I should have wiped any fingerprints off the inside :joy: can see them now in better light. Also, placing your magnet toward the front section of your vehicle (which also could be something as simple as a block of wood if you donā€™t have a printer and just engrave a pocket for your magnet) will help give the appearance that your vehicle is always traveling forward instead of sideways.

There are also spherical magnets that might even be better since they will allow the vehicle to rotate around them.

Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you

The typical advice is to get 90% or better Acetone. But the only difference you will notice is more ghosting in the acrylic from the additives.

1 Like

Thank you very much. Appreciated

Good acrylic glues are readily available if you donā€™t want to make your own, at least in the US. One example is Weldon #16, which is a thickened clear cement with the viscosity of corn syrup. Itā€™s available here in various sizes:

Also, I believe that methyl ethyl ketone can be used to glue acrylic together when you donā€™t want blobs of the thickened cement above to show in the seams. MEK is a very thin fluid that tends to wick into the crevices at the joints between glued components but it needs a moderate surface area to achieve a strong joint. Methylene chloride might be another choice. As always read the SDS for any chemicals that are new to you before use.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I have Weldon 4 bookmarked to try. Most likely wonā€™t try making my own until after Iā€™ve practiced a bit with some scrap or small pieces.

I have no experience with the purchased weld-on. So cannot say for sure they are the same as making your own with acrylic. But I believe strongly that it is.

The main draw I see to making your own: Acetone is easy to get. And Acetone is useful for more than just acrylic bonding (I use it to clean smoke marks off of wood when I do not use a masking layer)

1 Like

Just a tip about using Weldon, itā€™s important to not apply too much pressure on your joints after you apply it. Youā€™ll squeeze the solution out and ā€œstarveā€ the joint, making a weak joint/seam. (if you need to hold things together, use tape - not clamps)

2 Likes

Fantastic tip. Iā€™m keeping a folder related to all things GFā€¦so your help is going into it, too. Thank you so much.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been exploring JavaScript to automate design. Hereā€™s a good browser CAD widget that is laser friendly: http://joostn.github.io/OpenJsCad/

2 Likes

Find a plastic ball that you can put a ball magnet in and snap the halves together. Mark it up sort of like a headless BB-8. Roll in the sand. :slightly_smiling:

That might be more useful then my excel sheet for graph functions

Iā€™ve been exploring JavaScript to automate design. Hereā€™s a good browser CAD widget that is laser friendly: http://joostn.github.io/OpenJsCad/27

1 Like

I did something very similar with my 3D printer when making my combination keychain/bottle opener. I paused my print half way through, inserted a penny to assist in the opening of bottles and then started the print again
https://tinkercad.com/things/drgWAvkhbtt

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a clever use of combining objects. last night i was experimenting with captive hex shaped nuts and bolt heads for a vacuum bracket for my router. 2 of the 3 turned out ok :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s a great idea! just saw that movie and having a BB-8 toy would be fun. a steel ball might do the trick for the inside. Itā€™s pretty close to a design for a clock that I am working on. iā€™m struggling to find a clock movement powerful enough to turn all the parts I have however.

I can find plenty of options akin to boxmaker. But I want to make a single container (outer walls) with multiple compartments (inner walls).

Ideally, with minimal need for wood glue being used.

I know I can design these myself pretty easily in InkScape. But I am offloading this work to someone with no exposure yet to anything laser.

Anyone know of a good resource where he can enter a few parameters and get considerably closer to a ready model than box maker will get him?

I wanted to submit this tool thatā€™s been live for over a year, and is generating over 100 boxes every single day!

http://makeabox.io/

I invite you to comment and submit feature requests! :slight_smile:

Konstantin

8 Likes

I just made a box plan using your tool, and it looks great. I was having trouble with a few of the others being not perfectly symmetrical, but your did a good job. I will be giving it a workout. :slight_smile:

5 Likes