Parametric Pencil Box

Ooh, thank you!

I used your file to make my 5 year old a pencil box with some of his monster and snake drawings. We just used draft board and it came out great. Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

That’s awesome!

1 Like

Parametric…

2 Likes

Parametric design is a process based on algorithmic thinking that enables the expression of [parameters] and rules that, together, define, encode and clarify the relationship between design intent and design response. In other words the box was created using a procedural algorithm where i entered the dimensions and everything, including the joints were generated automatically

1 Like

Ahh, makes sense, I suppose. :wink: Colloquial maker usage indicates a design which can be customized by the end user, so it is a little surprising when the “parametric” design actually turns out to be fixed.

We can probably blame Thingiverse for changing the definition! :wink:

So, did you use symbols in Adobe Illustrator for the finger joints? Or a plug-in?

Everything bit the text and picture were procedurally created including the joints

1 Like

Can someone please help explain to me how to get it to ungroup? The 2 small pieces came out to small when I changed it to be big enough for pencils… I need the 2 smaller pieces to be about 2x3. Thank you in advance or did I do something wrong all together :\

You can ungroup in the GFUI by clicking cmd/ctrl + shift + g

1 Like

This particular file won’t ungroup in teh GFUI. I’ve tried both the L-click menu and the multi-key command. I’m going to put it into Illustrator and see if I can dislodge the grouping.

Edit: @jessylee1989 so far, the Ungroup function is greyed out in Illustrator as well.
More edit: when I use the Group Selection tool (hollow arrow with the plus symbol), I find that the circle is really a polygon. All the curves are connected straight lines. Even saving the .svg as an .ai file won’t overcome the internal grouping.

I’m going to increase the dimensions of the collective file to 8" in height and see how it works in medium draftboard.

2 Likes

OK, the resizing worked. In medium draftboard, you will get a fit that’s easy to assemble by hand, but it will need glue to stay together. If you have ply or hardwood (etc) that’s barely thicker (measure, measure, measure) then this will fit tightly. Considering the inserts that provide stability to the sliding top, I’ll probably upsize proportionally in other materials. You can have such a perfect fit the top won’t slide.

I set up the design in the GFUI, then set the Engrave to ‘ignore’ and did all the cutting. Once I was certain this would work, I put the sliding top back into the draftboard still on the honeycomb, and engraved it.

I lowered the power so I wouldn’t get fume stain on the piece.

pencil box.pdf (78.7 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for the deep dive! Hopefully this helps @jessylee1989 out too :smiley:

1 Like

You’re welcome; I got a nice pencil box out of it! I haven’t been making things lately, this was a nice dive back in.

Time to go mow the yard. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Love this practice project. Thanks for posting it here to share.

i love it. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

fyi magic erasers are champs at removing sap and burn stains

1 Like

Thank you! Very practical and versatile. :smiley:

In case you don’t know, unbranded magic erasers are just as effective and like $20 for 50! Search for melamine sponges.

1 Like

Or buy them from the Wall of Marts. The Amazon ones I bought a couple of years ago have lasted forever. Funny when you get them in 4 or 6 packs they seem to get used up pretty fast but if you’ve got 50 or 100, they never run out :smiley:

2 Likes