Parametrical boxes in Fusion 360. Solutions to my problems

Hi everybody,

I continue to learn how to use Fusion 360. In my last post, I ask for help about problems about making parametrical boxes with tutorials made by glowforgers (Problem with parametric values in fusion 360) .

With your answers and some researches, I think I have found th solution I was looking for.

So I share with you 2 details about glowforger’s tutorials that I think it would be a better way to do.

1. I had problems with the tutorial « easy box joints » by @markevans36301 (Fusion 360- Build a Box (p7)). I can’t explain why it was good sometimes and wrong other times with the same method. But when I use the sketch pattern on the line as said in the tutorial, it was impossible to create tooth joints because the method create opened area as in those photos.

After loosing an incredible amount of hairs, I have found another way to avoid this situation.
With this, I succeed with making tooth joint without problem.

In the tutorial, we make a line sketch and use pattern (with previous problems said before). So, for me, I make a rectangule sketch instead with parametrical parameters.

Then, I choose the rectangle‘s left line and use sketch pattern as said in the tutorial.

With this method, no more opened area and so, since now no more problems to extrude the tooth joints.

1. I have also issues with parametrical values (see Problem with parametric values in fusion 360) to have a perfect parametrical box. With your help, I have found my solution. Thanks for @ljyang for his video.

First, my hypothethis was right. The problem cames with the copy/paste. Copy paste works well if you don’t have parametrical values because, it seems that variable are frozen to the current value of on the paste object.

So if you want to keep parametrical values on each side of the box without designing each side, don’t use copying object. Instead, we must use the pattern tool in create menu like this.

Select the object to component to copy. Go to create menu / pattern / rectangular pattern.

In the opened window, choose pattern type : body, click on select (direction) and choose the axis for translation on the plan. Enter quantity : 2 and distance : height-thickness (for example, adapt with the situation and your variables names).

With this, variables are still in place in both components and even the distance between.

Conclusion, with the tutorials and this two points, my box is totally parametrical and I didn’t notice for now conflicts with variable changes as in @Hirudin video.

If I wasn’t enough clear or if I’m wrong on something or if you have anything to add, let me know.

Marc

25 Likes

I recorded another video reply. It’s 20 minutes, but the probable solution to this is shown in the first 4 minutes.

(reuploaded to correct video/audio sync)

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing what you’re learning. :smile:

2 Likes

NICE: I’ll link this to the tutorial post and I’ll update the tutorial when I get a chance.

I see that despite the fact that I have a voice for print I need to figure out adding voice to my screencasts. Very helpful. This may well keep the next nub from fighting with this.

4 Likes

Thanks to everyone contributing to these tutorials. I have a lot to learn to get the most out of my Proforge.

2 Likes