Hey Everyone. I’m having issues with the passthru. I’ve had the Pro for a cpl months now, and i’ve yet to get it to auto focus. I always get the align manually option after the machine finishes taking pictures after the first cut. That doesn’t really bother me, as the align manually usually turns out really well. Now however I get it before the first cut. Sometimes, if I click cancel print, and restart the cut a few times, it goes thru with the first cut, but after that I have to turn off the passthru software for the second. Also, now, I always get an error message to refresh my browser etc, after trying to use Set Focus.
I’ve cleaned all the lenses, the mirrors, following the instructions. Ive gotten a wifi booster, in case it was a wifi issue . The issue only happens with the passthru software, all my other cuts, scores, and engraves are perfect. Except for the set focus error, it happens now regardless.
Any tips, tricks, advice is welcome. It’s probably user error because i’m pretty bad with anything that has to be plugged into an outlet:P
Since this software is beta, regular support doesn’t weigh in. You need to post over the Pro passthrough thread. Pro Passthrough Beta Application
I will be reading up more and let you know what I discover. Had my pro over a year and have never used the pass thru slot yet but plan to this weekend. If I find a method that works well and without issues, I will let you know what works for me. Once I do, so we can maybe troubleshoot together more of you haven’t figured it out then.
Oh, sorry, I thought it was out of beta and purchasable now. Also, since the Set focus issue I have happens in the regular software, as well as the passthru software, and was unsure if both my issues are linked to the same problem, I didn’t want to post it in multiple places, was unsure of the proper place to post. Now I know, thanks!
That sounds amazing thanks! It takes a bit longer but i’ve just been slicing my designs in illustrator and shifting everything manually in the glowforge, so still no regrets for spending the extra cash for the Pro. Workarounds and extremely helpful forum peeps ftw!
You’re one step ahead of me then. I have never used illustrator and the only slicing I am familiar with is tomato slicing for a BLT. . Is slicing the same as layering or separating layers?
Pass Thru capability is not part of the Premium offering. It will be always and only free to GF Pro owners. Still, the S/W is not yet ready for prime time and still in Beta.
I’m sorry to hear about the trouble you’ve run into with the Pro Passthrough beta as well as Set Focus. I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate, and it looks like trouble with Set Focus might be happening because the Glowforge is having trouble communicating with the printer head. There are two key connections I’d like you to check for me.
Could you please do the following?
- Turn off your Glowforge.
- Holding only the finished black surfaces, grasp the printer head as shown. Pull gently up and back to disengage the magnets and remove the head.
- There is a small tab in the center of the wire ribbon. Push down fully on the tab to release it, and gently pull the wire ribbon plug from the printer head.
- Take a clear photo of the gold pins inside the printer head where you just unplugged the wire ribbon. It should look like this.
- Pick up the printer head and wire ribbon. Make sure the tab on the wire ribbon is facing up. Slide the ribbon back into the head until it clicks.
- As shown, lower the printer head over the metal plate so that it rests next to the two round posts. Then push it gently away from you – you’ll feel a “click” as magnets pull the printer head until it sits snugly atop the metal plate.
- Pull the laser arm all the way forward.
- Reach over the laser arm, and to the left of the inside of the unit and you’ll see this circuit board:
- Take a photo of the circuit board. If the cable I’ve indicated above with the red arrow appears to be loose, please reconnect it and try printing again. This cable should ‘click’ back into place.
- Turn your Glowforge back on.
- Send us the photos you took in step 4 and step 9.
We’ll review the photos and follow up with next steps.
Thank you for posting those photos.
Could you please also let me know if you tried a test print after reseating the cable at the green board?
That seemed to fix both my issues, thanks!
This actually did NOT fix my issues. Tried set focus today, got the same error. Tried the passthru, and it asked me to align manually for the first cut, after repeatedly canceling, and restarting, still asks me to align manually.
I have the same issue with my GF Pro. I love my GF Pro but can’t get the Passthrough to work as instructed.
Thank you for updating us after attempting some additional test prints. I’m so sorry for the continued trouble you’ve been experiencing.
Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.