Patterns in vector engravings

Hi, I did a test with a lot of squares to see the results on my material:

I was looking for a setting where I have a nice flat bottom. None of the squares have that. Some have a very clear pattern:
example
Where does this pattern come from? Is this the pwm (pulse with mudulation) of the tube that is visible in combination with the speed?

Is there a way to have my engravings nice and flat at the bottom? Without any patterns? I tried defocusing, but the patterns just change.

Note: in my svg all the squares were aligned perfectly. The glowforge did not do a good job of printing this file.

What material is this?

You need a very high LPI with slight defocusing, If you look at the very light areas in this design, they are very thin but not cut through and it is very hard to see the pattern. However to have 1355 LPI and full power you need speeds upward of 1200 to perhaps 1600 that is not available except for images.

It’s TroLase Metallic Plus, got it here:

1 Like

Thanks! I did try the highest lpi and although I did not come across a case where there was this pattern I saw, in my tries it also wasn’t very smooth. I have the glowforge basic and the maximum speed I can go is 1000, doesn’t matter if I do raster or vector engravings.

hmmm I was not aware that the raster engrave was so limited on the basic, The vector engrave was higher when first released but it had a lot of bugs so it was cut back. Lower power increases grain differences in wood but I did not think it would in acrylic. 1355 runs the time up, even at the higher speeds, but I quite prefer the smoother result.

Since this problem is being seen on materials that were purchased from another company, we can’t offer support for prints that don’t come out as expected. Materials may vary widely from piece to piece, even if they’re created by the same manufacturer. I’m going to move it to Beyond the Manual so other folks here can help. Should this happen with a print on Proofgrade materials, please open a new ticket in Problems and Support and we’ll help you right away!

You should open a P&S post with just this - because this is not ok. Post your art as well, because confirming the issue isn’t in the art will be the first step.

The :glowforge: is accurate to within .001", so yes you can find variation but it’s certainly not visible to the naked eye!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.