Pay for Faster Shipping?

I’m sure we have talked about this in the past but I can’t find it and that was before production units were shipping.

@dan I think it would be a great idea to let customers upgrade their shipping from ground at an additional cost.
I’m not saying next day air or anything(although some may want that) but I would happily pay a little more to ship it 3 Day Select. I think many people would since the less time in transit the less likely I’ll end up with an AC coupling and the more likely I’ll end up with a power cord.

Also the faster I’ll be able to fire up the Glowforge!

4 Likes

pretty sure this is the problem, any better shipping - to the extent that they’d guarantee it - would be a fair sight more than “a little more.”

2 Likes

Using the UPS website I estimate ~$100 to my address. So, ya, I’d pay that to get my long awaited Pro even one day earlier lol.

2 Likes

extra, or total? you’ve already paid $99.

Extra.

I’m also only looking at the difference in the upgrade cost since I’m sure it is more than $99 to ship it to me even if it is just UPS Ground. It looks like Glowforge isn’t just eating logistics cost for international customers but also domestic ones in some cases.

looking at the cost for shipping to me, there is a 330 more going up to 3 day select… thats not counting the difference what I paid to ship it vs calculated cost. Its just off the calculated cost. (that also doesnt count for having to pay someone to track down your boxes and slap a different label on them, collect money and delay in procedure. - shipping departments are best if you let them work with the flow of things.)

really as you move farther away from the production plant the more it will be an I am a US customer. I think the time giving the option for faster shipping and getting it worked out with GF, I would get the boxes the same day as if I did normal shipping.

1 Like

I’m sure this would open up a whole bunch of billing issues they aren’t setup to deal with. And since they are all super busy trying to get units i doubt this is possible with causing more delays.

2 Likes

Wow you must be on the East Coast.

Same as printing a label with my home address on it really.[quote=“Slacker, post:6, topic:8516”]
shipping departments are best if you let them work with the flow of things.
[/quote]

I truly don’t think this would affect the shipping department at all since it is just selecting ground or 3 Day select. Just as perspective I am the Shipping Manager for a multi-million dollar company.[quote=“ianauch, post:7, topic:8516, full:true”]
I’m sure this would open up a whole bunch of billing issues they aren’t setup to deal with. And since they are all super busy trying to get units i doubt this is possible with causing more delays.
[/quote]

I see your concern here but they already have a system to receive payment and upgrade from Basic to Pro or add a filter. Why not add an upgraded shipping option? They could even add it now and everyone who would like to do it can pay before they get their email.

2 Likes

Nope midwest … just half way across the US.

Well that’s what I get for being signed in to my company account. I also only estimated for the main box.

I’ve always been told by various folks who work in shipping to never send delicate things by ground if you have any other option. - reportedly the faster shipments are somehow much more gentle.

2 Likes

UPS 3 Day Select shipping rates are generally about 3 times the rate of shipping UPS Ground

hahah i thougggggght that seemed awfully cheap

2 Likes

Yes! I always assume that it was an upsell but after some of the shipping pictures…

1 Like

If you sign up for MyChoice don’t they let you pay them to upgrade your speed unless the sender has negotiated a ridiculous low rate?

I’ll ask! I don’t expect it’s possible, but sometimes I’m surprised. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Good question. No idea

MyChoice allows you to specify delivery hours, but not the shipping method. Shipping method is assigned at the origin.

If a package is on its way to you via UPS Ground, and then the next day, you tell UPS MyChoice you want it 2nd day air, do you think they are going to stop the train en route, unload it looking for your package, take it to the airport and send it on its way to you? Fat chance.

1 Like

I’ve paid and gotten some things moved to the faster route at the next terminal it hit. Catch it early enough and it works. Just not certain which shipping service it was since i find myself a member of all the major domestic ones.

Per UPS: “UPS My Choice® members to change delivery options for eligible shipments. Options include redirecting your package to another address, rescheduling the delivery date, or picking up your package at a UPS customer center or at a UPS Access Point™ location, where available.” Faster shipping method is NOT an option.

1 Like