PDF-want to determine whats cut and engraved

Hello
Just set up my new pro today. Im used to working with TROTEC’s and Corel. If I import a PDF into the GF editor can I determine what are cut and what are engraved features? TIA…as a 20 year STEM teacher I have access to and can use pretty much all CAD and media software…just let me know how this is done with GF :slight_smile:

For vector shapes, stroke with no fill defaults to cut, and fill with no stroke defaults to engrave. Rasters always engrave.

2 Likes

but the image is a PDF…how can i change some aspects to raster in the GF software…if its possible…peace

A PDF file is just a container. It’s what’s inside the container that counts. Also, you can change the defaults once you open it in the Glowforge app.

I really recommend working through the “Your first prints” tutorial that was recommended at the end of the setup process—you can find it in the support section (linked up above). It will save you weeks of trying to figure out the basics on your own. :blush:

4 Likes

will do…thanks

1 Like

I also use Corel and FWIW, I have more trouble with Corel PDF in my GF than any other format. They work OK for vectors, but my PDFs with raster elements are unusable. I don’t know why and it is most likely some setting on my end, but dang if I can get them to perform well. MY Corel SVGs are rock solid though. Just throwing the info out there in case you also have any weird issues with them.

2 Likes

thanks!!! :slight_smile: i’m pitting it through its paces before i let students jump on it…we also use illustrator and PS…i have a project for microsoft i’m working on and i’m using their files…PDF’s…if i have to i will re-edit elsewhere but i was hoping i could do that in the glow forge software…peace

jb

1 Like

Differentiating operations is done by changing line colors before your PDF is made. Rasters always engrave as @geek2nurse so excellently advised. Vectors can be engraved as well. Just make the vector things you want to be different operations different colors. When you load the file in the GFUI they’ll show up as separate steps in the left side bar and you’ll be able to change the settings for each.

Open it in Corel, change the lines to different colors to delineate the different operations you want. Then save as an SVG for the GF.

1 Like

thanks everyone…peace

jb

BTW, there are a number of Corel folks here. If you run into problems, just holler and someone will come to the rescue.

I do teach Inkscape though because then I know the students all have the same software because it’s a free download.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.