Pen Boxes

Made these maple and walnut pen boxes on Glowriosky. Living hinges, friction catch.Maple_BoxWMapleWWalnut-BoxWWalnutW

50 Likes

They look great! :wink:

1 Like

Nicely lined, too!

1 Like

Wow! Those look fantastic! What a great fit and finish. Good job!

1 Like

Nice work! Great use of the hinge. I knew this tool would expand your ability beyond engraving the pens!
I remember when you were wondering if the glowforge was overkill for your needs, and since it didn’t have a rotation ability, if you could make use of it at all.

Custom case, fits perfectly with your custom work!

4 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

Nice work! I still haven’t got up the nerve to engrave a pen yet. I keep thinking I will ruin a couple before I get it right. I might just practice on some dowel before I stick one of my pens in the machine.

1 Like

There doesn’t seem to be way “yet” to engrave a pen using the Glowforge, but if you get one of the 1000 mw Chinese lasers there is a jig that will allow you to engrave all around the pen, as you see in the 2nd Amendment pen in my post.

1 Like

Good to know you didn’t do yours on the Glowforge. I just want to do names so I think that will be currently doable if I create a jig to hold the pen.

2 Likes

I am geeking out at the one with the circuit board!!! Dude!

1 Like

i have tested and am able to do single lines on one of the thicker pens. you just need to test and come up with the right settings. i used a crappy wood pen to test, and they came out decently. but i had no idea what the wood was.

my father in law turns pens as his retirement gig and he gave me a handful of turned blanks to test with. I haven’t tried them yet, but plan on it over the next week or two so i can engrave for him if he needs it in the future.

i’ll come back and post some of my results when i get to it.

4 Likes

That pen, with the stylus and the bolt action pen with the 2nd Amendment are my two best sellers.

2 Likes

Where can we find your work?

Thanks for asking.
www.pensbylarry.com

4 Likes

Looks great! are you willing to provide the file for cutting?
I am so new to this stuff and haven’t bee able to get much cut out because of lack of inscape skill. I am wanting to give a pens as gifts but they still need boxes, this would help soo much with that!
thanks either way

one of the rules that GF has put out there is that we shouldn’t ask people to provide files for their work. people may choose to share, but we aren’t supposed to ask them. trying to maintain an atmosphere of sharing work with everyone without them feeling pressured to give it away.

1 Like

I especially like the longer cuts on your living hinge because it gives your boxes an elegant look. :grinning:

Thanks, must have missed that. I will keep it in mind for the future.

1 Like

No worries, not trying to jump on you, just pointing it out.