Penguin baby piggy bank

After a long hiatus from the laser and the community I have something to contribute once again! Hopefully I will start having a little more time to make some things again.

My close friend had her first child and I decided to go all out for their first bank. She has a love for penguins, so I found a fun little SVG then sat down to figure out how to make it 3D. The bank measures 18.5" tall and just shy of 2" thick. I used 1/4" basswood ply and an ultra thin piece of plexi glass. The plexi is inlayed so the ply could seal together nicely. Once it was all glued together I sanded the edges to make everything smooth and aline perfectly. At first I had scored the image of the penguin and intended to stain it, but once I started I wasn’t 100% pleased. Then I had a wonderful idea of using felt to make it “fuzzy” and I’m extremely happy with those results.

27 Likes

Very cute penguin! I foresee he’s going to need a pal - the first one is going to fill up in a heartbeat!

3 Likes

He looks like the Happy Feet penguin! Cute! :grinning:

5 Likes

Pretty cool

2 Likes

Such a nice gift.

3 Likes

Cool project. If I made something like this, I’d be thinking of a way to make the mouth be the place to invert the cash.

4 Likes

He’s very cute. Like his blue eyes.

2 Likes