Perfect cart for glowforge!

Just wanted to share, I came across this product on ikea’s website… pretty spot on in dimensions! Plus looks sturdy, has shelves, and is on wheels!

12 Likes

@alicedebodesigns - The FLYTTA is a great find! (amazing match for the dimensions! I’ve been going nuts trying to find stuff that is 38" wide)

I’ve been looking at one of the Home Depot benches - width isn’t as on-the-nose (46") but I’m after open space underneath.

Your cart is very tempting though!

3 Likes

Unclear if you already have your Glowforge, but in case you didn’t. Most of the noise seems to be focused downwards and it “wiggles” quite a bit while cutting/scoring at high speeds. Both of these things might be unpleasantly accentuated by a thin metal table on casters.

4 Likes

@Xnit - I’m guessing you already have your unit ( 21 Minute Shipping! ) - what did you end up doing for a cart/table?

I bought the Harbor Freight 60” wooden workbench… works great with the GF and actually looks nice in the house.

8 Likes

I have a home built workbench from a while back. Sheet of 3/4 plywood cut in half and glued to form a 2x8x1.5 top on 2x4 frame

Sorta like this (random Google Image since I’m at work)

1 Like

@jjmacdougall how well does the HF workbench stand up to the movement of the glowforge? Any issues with it moving, rocking or noise amplification (as @Xnit implied might happen with the lighter weight carts) ?

The table weighs 105 pounds and you assemble it yourself (easy). It is well-braced and once bolted together it’s rock-solid. Rated for 250 lbs load. When the GF is in operation there is no movement of the table due to gantry motion or other vibrations. I have tile floors and I put some large self-adhesive felt pads on the legs to further isolate the table. I’m very happy with its GF-specific performance.

2 Likes

FWIW, I added that to a Harbor Freight shopping cart and let Wikibuy do its magic. It applied coupon code: 44122858, for a savings of $32 and an order total of $127.99.

6 Likes

I have that same HF work bench in my garage. It’s as solid as you can ask for! I added these casters to it. They’re easy to engage and there’s no worrying about wobbling when theyre disengaged.

https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-17000-Workbench-Caster-Pack/dp/B00SX3T2LO/ref=sr_1_26?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1508897706&sr=1-26&keywords=caster+wheels

5 Likes

Although I don’t use it for my GF, I have one of these and can’t say enough good things about it. I glued mine together in addition to the included hardware and it’s pretty much bomb-proof. The vice is crap, but I use it to clamp small projects from time to time just because it’s there.

For my GF, I cobbled together an IKEA table top and a set of adjustable office table legs – I’m about 5’ 6" and wanted to be able to keep my GF + filter at a comfortable height.

1 Like

what are the drawer sizes on that harbor freight table? rough guess from picture and top dimensions (60 x 20.5) would be 24 x 16 or so? maybe slightly larger? and how deep?

Just a smidge over 21" x 12" and 3" deep.

1 Like

so pretty much slightly larger than bed size. hrm.

I’ve had mine for a couple of years and the drawers are full of tools and 3D printing stuff. I bought an Alex drawer unit from IKEA a few weeks ago and it’s perfect for :proofgrade: and bed-ready materials – I plan to pick up another next time I go. $119 – what’s not to like?

3 Likes

I was thinking of this as well but putting casters on it.

I will second that. I use the draws for tools and measurement devices. The bottom shelf was supposed to be for material, but it accumulated things BEFORE Kòptis :glowforge: arrived. He is busy at this moment consuming Home Depot Basswood Plywood.

3 Likes

Not a budge. Although I did have to pull it out from the wall a bit to use the pass through to use 12x24 non-ProofGrade :proofgrade: material.

2 Likes

I got this cart on Amazon back when it was $160.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074WL437T/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It’s very sturdy and easy to assemble/move about. I’m planning on arranging some sort of storage underneath, but we move a lot (we work in theater) so I wanted something more mobile than a large shelving unit.

As regards the harbor freight bench, yup, what everyone else says. It is rock solid. I don’t use it for my glowforge, but it is steadier than what I do use. I have no issues with what I use. As for the useless vice, I hang a plastic garbage bag from it, so it is not completely without a purpose. The drawers are a little cheap. I’m not sure I’d trust them with the weight of glowforge materials. Also, the slides are cheap. Overall though I’m very satisfied with it.

2 Likes