Periodic Table of Elements - For My 3 1/2-year-old Grandson

So, my 3 1/2-year-old grandson has some pretty wild interests. Last spring I made him Greek and Russian alphabet puzzles - at his request. For Yule this year, he asked for the periodic table of elements. This is the complete set of 118 fridge magnets.

Each magnet is 1.75" square and the table measures 31.5" across. It won’t fit on my small fridge, but it will fit on his big, family-size fridge.

Once I created the templates, I divided them into their groups and made separate files. I painted and varnished the wood before engraving and cutting the magnets. Then I cleaned them and gave them a final coat of varnish to seal the engraved areas. I used self-adhesive magnetic sheets and cut them out to attach to the backs. The whole process took a total of seven hours. Well worth the time to put a smile on the little guy’s face.

45 Likes

Not gonna lie, I’m a little in love with your 3 1/2 year old grandson!
That project is fabulous, and I know a few 33-53 year olds who are wishing they were your grandchildren right about now :slight_smile:

15 Likes

He sounds like an awesome young man!!! That’s fantastic!! Nice job on the elements!

7 Likes

Great idea.sounds like a budding linguist

5 Likes

What a cool fridge your family has! That’s an amazing project.

6 Likes

Wait… your 3 1/2-year-old asked for the periodic table?? Feed that intellect… We’ve been waiting for him.

15 Likes

Nice project! Perfect for the GF! It is never too early to start suppporting an interest in science! Go Grandma!

9 Likes

Awesome! The project and the grandson:-)

4 Likes

Keep feeding that amazing little mind – they have no limits! I have a grandkid like that. She’s 11 now and still constantly amazing me. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

That is glorious, and your grandson sounds like a special person!

3 Likes

He’s an interesting young lad, alright! Keeps us all on our toes.

4 Likes

Make that a 63yo as well!

@yemallaarcanum You are the coolest grandmom. i can’t wait to see what your grandson does with this. (I love chemistry; well, until advanced topics, then it’s chem-mistery to me.) [ok, that’s a bad pun, deal with it :grin: ]

6 Likes

Happy Birthday!

1 Like

Very cool! Your grandson sounds amazing. It will be very interesting to see what he decides to do as an adult. I imagine whatever he does, he’s going to be a world-changer!

2 Likes

You AND your grandson are awesome!! This is a great idea, and it looks terrific!

2 Likes

I so have to get the files listed! I hope there are more science geeks out there who might appreciate it.

What worries me is that he will probably start quizzing me on the PTE!

5 Likes