Personalized Wood Pens

Check it: http://www.instructables.com/id/Laser-Cut-Pen-Vice-for-Rotary-Engraving/

1 Like

That is a cool idea @JeremyNielsen, but one of the advantages of the laser cutter is that we don’t need to work as hard at material holding. Gravity should be enough since there are no lateral forces to counteract. This would be perfect if you wanted to use a cnc router to engrave a pen!

1 Like

True, true! I just thought it was interesting. :slight_smile:

sooo… this has me thinking about making customized test-tubes and pipets for my scientist girlfriend.
(Just for desk-top ornaments, not for actually science-ing with.)

1 Like

Test tubes are on my list as well! I’ve seen some folks using them as spice jars, and it would be pretty easy to make a plywood spice rack for them with the Glowforge, too.

Test-tube jello shots are great for post science-ing. The person post science-ing, not the test-tube, because that would be bad.

4 Likes

Once you turn your pen, you can engrave on it (the same as you could wood burn something into it). The only thing is that you would have to engrave BEFORE doing your finish coat (so just after you are done the sanding step).

Once you complete the engraving, put the pieces back on the mandrel of the lathe, and use a very high grit final sand (I would go 800+). This is to remove any sharp edges and residual scorching from the area around the engraving.

Once this is done, blow out the etched pattern with a compressor (or a can of compressed air), then you can finish the pen as normal.

I would caution you on some of the high wax content woods and acrylics; they can burn/melt and ruin the pen piece. If you stay with common woods you should be fine.

1 Like

What common woods are you referring to when you say “If you stay with common woods you should be fine.” ?

I am referring to the less waxy woods, Ebony for example is a wonderful wood, but it has a high wax content and tends to burn, not engrave.

2 Likes

Came across this! I’m sure you can make your own but its interesting:

http://www.laserbits.com/laser-supplies/laserbits-fixtures/xus-025-laserbits-10-pen-fixture.html

3 Likes

That would make my life easier, to engrave pens I made a form to hold the pen, then play with the x y to get in the ball park turn the laser power way down place paper over the pen to make sure it’s centered and true. Works ok if you don’t do a lot.

2 Likes

Have you engraved any pens yet with your glowforge. If you have or know someone that has please post a picture