PG material not identified

Screenshot says it all. Was ID’d successfully on previous prints (yesterday), but not successfully ID’ing today. Not the end of the world, but 10 days into use (and only 3rd sheet of PG), a bit alarmed that it’s not picking up the QR

There are some places where it has trouble reading the mark but if you cut the same sheet yesterday that material will be at the top of the list and you can just pick it. The mark is convenient but not critical.

3 Likes

Appreciate the suggested workaround… the genesis of the posting however is that I expect that after spending $7k on this equipment that it would function as advertised. It’s a bit like driving off the lot with a new car with a failed turn signal. Sure, the car works and I can use hand signals, but shouldn’t they work?

If PG materials weren’t advertised repeatedly all over the user experience, it would be one thing, but with the number of times I’ve hammered - during every print about how terrific PG is, I’m trying to figure out why this doesn’t work.

There’s 4 locations QR codes can appear from PG materials as the sheets are cut to the bed size. This is something that should “just work” very reliably given the tech involved. So, perhaps there’s something wrong with my GF

1 Like

From the looks of your screenshot, your camera gives quite clear images. I doubt , therefore, that there is something wrong with your Glowforge. The superiority of the Proofgrade materials is not that they have a QR code attached, but that they are manufactured to a high standard and are guaranteed to work with proper settings. The Proofgrade warning message is annoying, but quite insignificant. Many of us find the Proofgrade stickers annoying and put them on the underside when loading material.

1 Like

Oh no! I’m sorry you’ve hit a snag.

I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge to review your most recent prints, and compared it with the details you’ve provided to investigate further. Your machine logs help me confirm that your Glowforge has successfully recognized Proofgrade QR codes since you’ve had it.

It looks like you received the “Proofgrade material not found” message because you modified the Proofgrade settings. In this particular print, a manual cut setting was chosen and this message shows as an alert.

This message will appear anytime you’re using Proofgrade material and manually adjust the settings. To circumvent this error, you can create custom settings and use them going forward.

Lastly, in the even that your Glowforge doesn’t scan the QR code automatically, you can always search for the material in the top left of your app by clicking “Unknown.”

Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

1 Like

@jeremyh - thanks for the response.

Log files sound pretty helpful. Can we as users access these as well? Would be helpful to have more information about jobs to dial things in.

Obvious feedback - would be helpful to address the error message as “PG not found” sends users down a different path than “Manual settings can be dangerous”. I wouldn’t have started the thread if not for the “PG not found” message - and only then because GF promotes PG as the cat’s meow no-fail scenario…

Interestingly, this was a print that I did shortly after figuring out the saved settings option. Both the cut and engrave were from a saved list. However, I did note that my saved setting for the engrave (a raster) didn’t preserve the “grayscale” choice (which I had set to power) and need to re-enter that each time. I just attempted to set and re-save it, and again, the setting appears not to have preserved, so I’m guessing this is a minor bug.

Is this the best forum for entering bugs or suggestions? Accumulating some of both and want to share them efficiently for the team.

Thank you so much for following up with us.

Unfortunately log files are only accessible through our Technical Support Team at this point in time. We have more information on how we troubleshoot here.

In regards to the “PG not found”, thank you so much for your suggestion. We love to know how we can improve our Proofgrade settings, so I’ve passed your feedback on to our team.

I’m so glad you were able to discover the saved settings option and work through the difficulties. In regards to the grayscale settings not saving, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I’m going to forward this along to another team to investigate further.

Lastly, posting on Problems and Support or emailing us directly at support@glowforge.com is the best way to surface bugs and provide feedback.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.