PG - What are you hoping for?

What products are you hoping they will have in the proofgrade store?

3 Likes

I would really like them to again offer some unfinished options for the plywood and hardwood.

13 Likes

I second that.

And long term I’d like to see a wider range of “weird” woods, like bamboo.

4 Likes

^^^^^^
With 1mm bamboo I could make ‘instant’ fan sticks, so bamboo veneer doubled up would hit the spot for me.

:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Second that!!!

Whoops third that then…

1 Like

2- and 3-layer acrylics.
Cool acrylics (glittered, patterned, mirrored, glow-in-the-dark, etc.)
Interesting woods (purpleheart, tulipwood, etc.)

4 Likes

Unfinished options would be nice, however those materials I think would be even more susceptible to warping being more open to changing moisture content. Not an idea killer, just a factor to be aware of.

There may be use for dyed leather, although examples we have seen of creative coloring show more opportunity to individualize, some (like me) would be happy to just build with the material instead of having to learn the skill.

1 Like

Great topic - we love to hear what folks are interested in!

4 Likes

I’d like striped wood like butcher block.

2 Likes

After not trying it for the longest time I have come to love the wood veneers and would love to see something like them in plastic, and lots of colors. You know, about 1mm thick with 3M adhesive already on it.

Also, about half of the Johnson plastics line would be great with QR added.

3 Likes

Third that or fourth or whatever. would also make outstanding living hinge! so multiple thicknesses as well. Also, 1mm plastic “fake ivory” that could have that look but not hurt elephants. Not sure if available from extinct elephant-like critters.

1 Like

delrin

4 Likes

Ah, if only such a material existed !
i could go on at length, but I won’t. I’ll just say that in the last 15 -20 years looking and experimenting myself with materials, I’ve not found anything that has the necessary combination of properties, mainly stiffness without the brittleness that usually goes with it.

1 Like

I don’t believe it is safe for lasering, but I have used this and it looks realy good when stained with brown shoe polish etc.

https://www.fauxbone.com/

1 Like

Larger sizes for the hardwoods.
Purple Heart hardwood
Yellow Heart hardwood
Wenge hardwood
More acrylic colors, and the two color stuff (seconding/thirding/whatever).

2 Likes

You’re correct, it’s not safe for lasering. It’s composed of pvc, probably with a filler.
However I will contact them and try to get a sample for stiffness testing.
The best I came up with was a chalk filled polyurethane, but which slowly went yellow after a couple of years !
:upside_down_face:

— Exotic plywood (wenge, zebrawood, ebony, etc)
— Dyed leather in basic colors (black, dark & medium brown, gray, navy, red)
— Specialty acrylics
— Cardboard or thick chipboard

3 Likes
  • Long plys
  • Thicker basswood - 3/8"?
  • Thicker plys?
    :grinning:
2 Likes

not sure that would be a totally bad thing, but a common UV protector sprayed on over it might help (UV protection is volume based so only protects till th uv protection wears off, not so long in the sun but a long time normally)