Philosophy Stones: gnomelithic

My partner is a professor of ancient philosophy. We were trying to think of a joint project combining his work in Philosophy and my Glowforge. We came up with #gnomelithic.

He is translating thoughts of Ancient Greek philosophers, and I am engraving them onto rocks and leaving the engraved rocks out for folks to find when we go out for walks.

Thanks @cmreeder for the settings (Settings for Gravel )! I ended up using 300 speed and 100 power for engravings. Quality depends on composition, flatness, and color of each rock. Rocks are found in my yard.

32 Likes

I like this joint project. It would be so fun to find one of those engraved rocks.

4 Likes

Yeah, it would be fun to find one while out on a walk. Great idea!

4 Likes

It’s a thing.

https://www.thekindnessrocksproject.com/

Sign up and do your part. Or don’t sign up but still drop your creations around the world and make someone’s day :smile:

13 Likes

Thanks for the link!!

I like these a lot. I bought a bag of river rocks at the dollar store a few months ago and have been meaning to engrave them. Guess I need to decide what I want to say!

2 Likes

Oh, I’m in on this one I’ve long believed that random acts of kindness have ripple effect in society.
Now just to find the right rocks!

5 Likes

The second is a fabulous line! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

You can buy bags of them from any of the crafts stores (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc). Grab 'em and engrave whatever - even just a “Hi there” will put a smile on someone’s face when they find it amongst regular stones.

4 Likes

Turning rocks into gold! Nice.

3 Likes

What a cool joint project! Maybe on the reverse side you could engrave the saying in the original Greek. :smile:

2 Likes

Fun to work together! This has been on my list.

2 Likes

I gathered about 10 lbs of nice flat river rocks while I was dirt-biking, and stuffed them into my camelbak. They were bouncing and slamming into my back the whole ride home. I figured it would be worth it.
They don’t engrave well; barely even take a mark at all. :frowning:

4 Likes

Oh no! After all that work. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Or find a river and collect your own!

2 Likes

Got a river right close by but no rocks :cry: All is sand and even the sand is mostly limestone. Besides if we left engraved sand about who would notice?

4 Likes

What a cool idea! And they turned out so well!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.