Phone and iPod mount for truck

I often (read, almost always) over think things. I’ve been needing a mount for the phone and iPod since I got the truck last summer. Had all kinds of 3d printed and complex box jointed things worked out in my head but when it came the time, STICKY PAD! Yeah, I’ll have to remove and wash the sticky pad about twice a month but there will be zero hassle as to line the phone up. Just drop it on.

5 minutes to design, another 5 to cut, and 5 to glue for a grand total of 15 minutes for the project. Okay, 20 as it is taking me another 5 to write this up.

EDIT: Okay, I’ve done enough of these now to share the mount parts:

21 Likes

I like it! I’ve got one of those things lying around here somewhere…
:sunglasses::+1:

Cool idea. You’ll have to update us as you use it for durability, suitability to task, blah-blah-blah. :smile:

1 Like

Durability will be fine as I’ve made RAM mount before and have used sticky pads before. As to the suitability to the task, yeah, give me a couple of weeks and I’ll let you know. Everything to date has worked great but you never know?

2 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t so much thinking the RAM mount, more interested in how the sticky pad holds up under normal driving use. And it won’t be too much longer before the temperatures in the deep south start inching up again :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing the mounting plate designs for the RAM too!

1 Like

Thank you for the share!

2 Likes

That’s great!

<‘Mom>
Now, promise me you are not taking your eyes from the road to look at your gadgets.
<‘/Mom>

1 Like

I think having your phone in a mount helps with that as you are not fumbling around with it. Most of the time I don’t touch it anyway because these things have gotten scary smart (skynet!!!) I just say “hey google” followed by what I want.

Okay, I just had to redesign and rebuild this but NOT because of the sticky pad. It works great; I have to take it and wash it about once a month to renew the stickiness.

I had to redo it because all glues I tried didn’t hold up to either the heat or the stresses, so I just redid it using all mechanical fasteners.
Good learning experience as this is the first time I’ve counter sank a fastener.

2 Likes