Photography Showcase

Ok. I do some landscape photography, especially flower macros:

More flower macros (and insects) here.

I have been doing panoramic photography since the early days of QuickTimeVR. These are 360º by 180º views, in case it isn’t clear:

Here is some older panoramic work, including versions with an immersive VR viewer (like looking through a window where I shot the image).

I also have a fair collection of older cemetery photography I’ve done, mostly on actual film:

10 Likes

Thank you for this portion of beautiful images. You have a talent for capturing a little more than just an image of a physical object.

1 Like

Here is my photo contribution plus a Glowforge project.

11 Likes

Indeed! :crazy_face: I have always been a fan of baggywrinkles, and hidden whitewater places, cats however I think are overdone, sort of the Comic Sans or Papyrus of image subjects.

1 Like

Someday I want to try drone photography. I would want a drone that could do high quality still shots.

1 Like

Really great photos everyone. Keep the coming!!

Grab a Mavic Air 2 - the stills at 48mp are great. Don’t do the 12mp stills as you’ll get some odd color artifacts (noticeable mostly at magnification but since it’s just space on the storage card I always do 48 for stills).

About $800.

1 Like

I would seriously consider that.

The only thing they need on it are side & top collision sensors - they have front, rear and bottom sensors which will generally keep you from smacking it into something except if you slide it sideways into something.

The camera is pretty impressive for something that size. It’s amazing what they got in there. It’s actually better than the Mavic Pro (2x price) but the Pro has the side sensors :roll_eyes:

The camera bit rate is like 120 so you can even do 4K 240fps recording.

1 Like

I’m waiting for DJI to offer the features of the Skydio at a similar price. I have no pressing need.

(Specifically, the following with terrain/obstacle navigation capabilities mixed with high quality video and imaging.)

2 Likes

The Air 2 has that. But the Skydio has somewhat better obstacle avoidance because it has a couple of extra sensors I think. The Mavic Pro has the extra sensors but the Skydio beats that one too and the camera is not quite as good (which means DJI will likely come out with a new Mavic Pro with even more upgraded camera capabilities.

The Air does a better job of following you than the Pro but not quite as good as the Skydio (you can make it run into stuff) but it does a really good job of reacquiring you if you go behind a sign of building and pop out on the other side. I think Skydio does more with its sensors - you can get it to lose you or stop so it doesn’t whack something but it’s harder than the DJIs.

The Air is only a couple of months old (mine is only a couple of weeks) so it will be interesting to see what they do with new firmware & software updates. The Skydio was on “reserve one” and I didn’t have the patience to wait :blush:

A photo I was working on tonight.

7 Likes

They grow up so quickly.

4 Likes

Real nice picture, she looks sweet too.

1 Like

They do! But in her defense this was is sort of like “Glamor Shots for Cats” She still is all kitten.
Here is an outtake where she is more kitten-y

4 Likes

I love my mavic air 2, but I disagree on the quality of the 48mp vs 12. 48mp is just like digital zoom, it’s mushy to me. Just shoot in the 4:3, the wide format is just truncating the top and bottom and gives you less freedom.

Also, don’t discount how cool the video can be at capturing a spot. I went to local quarry and shot this:

And this:

And oh, bonus, the panorama mode is pretty outstanding:

3 Likes

Dang, I noticed last night I could have one today at Best Buy. Oh the peer pressure.

1 Like

Amazon has it, no fuss no muss and you don’t have to go into a store, which is good right now.

Absolutely get the fly more package, it’s a no brainer for the batteries alone.

I actually got an amazon card at the time and got a sign on credit and 5% cash back because it’s a prime purchase. Bascially got the fly more package for free.

2 Likes

I agree. But if you get 1 more battery you can fly forever (or at least as long as you can run the recharger). I recharge in about an hour & half so 4 batteries allows me to always have a full one regardless of how long I’m out there (I’m getting about 25 min vs the 35 spec) but I try not to run to zero. I also don’t leave them at 100%. I figure they’re like any other lithium battery and will last longer if they don’t spend too much time at 100%.

I also followed the recommendation to do the first charge for each battery on the charger itself & not using the 3 bay charger plate. I expect there’s some kind of cell balancing circuit that works when only one battery is connected.

The panoramas are something aren’t they? I can’t find the stitching lines. Some of the quickshots seem gimmicky to me though so I don’t use those much. There does seem to be something for everyone in the Air (like I never shoot 4:3 :slightly_smiling_face:).

I really want to see what they come out with when the new Mavic Pro rolls out. The one you really want always seems to be one release away :grin:

3 Likes

The batteries are pretty sneaky, they’ll self discharge to 60% if you leave them unattended for 4 days.

Charge em up, if you don’t fly for a while, they self condition. Cool, huh?

What charger are you using to fly forever? I find that if I am out and about I only fly one battery in one location, and move on to the second location for the second battery. I was considering a car charger, but there aren’t many aftermarket parts yet.

I’ve been eyeing a true multicharger, the charging tray only charges one battery at a time… aliexpress has some that appear to charge all the batteries simultaneously. Like this guy:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001031993031.html

Might be a good upgrade.

I am also in the market for a better carrying bag, I’d like one where the mavic is lowered in flat, not on its end like the default bag. Something like:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001036161156.html

Ideally I’d find one that lets you store the controller with the sticks installed.

Also in the market for a lanyard-supported controller strap.

We’ll see if I get any of these accessories or just keep using it like I have it now. It’s really good as is, but I can see a little room for improvement.