Pinball playfield plastics

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeQwuUxggSw/?hl=en&taken-by=scarybeardpro

One of the big reasons I got a Glowforge was to cut my own plastics for pinball games I’m restoring, and building from scratch. I am SUPER happy with how these turned out for my Cocktail pinball machine. Used the medium acrylic and left one side of the protective paper on for now. Once I get the artwork done I’ll remove the white paper backing and apply the full color artwork in its place.

53 Likes

This is fantastic!

2 Likes

Pinball wizard

1 Like

I was just thinking of this today! I’m fascinated by pinball machines, but they are a bit pricey (like GlowForge Pro range). Since I already have a GlowForge Pro, I kind of want to learn to build a pinball machine for myself.

I want to keep an eye on this! Well done!

3 Likes

Building a Pin is a daunting undertaking. Lots of people ‘start’ building one, very few finish it. The one I’m working on now has taken me over a year in free time learning about electronics and its still not working yet. :stuck_out_tongue: There’s a lot of resources out there for DIY pinball.

I’m actually trying to work on plans to build a low voltage (and by result, low cost) kit for people to build pinball games. Most of the cost, complexity, and danger of these machines have to do with the high voltage solenoids that drive all the mechanics that whack the ball around. I’m trying to design a game that only uses 5V for any given component, which is very safe to deal with, and much cheaper components to use.

Also if you are interested in ‘cheaper’ pinball machines, EM (Electro-Mechanical) pinballs are almost always within the $200 - $900 range depending on condition. Machines made before the mid 1970’s. They can be tricky to repair though…

4 Likes

Oh wow! That’s like… serious! :grinning:

2 Likes

You can get a semi-modern and fun game for way less than the price of a GF. PM me if you want to know more.

@codenothing, consider getting some PET-G. I think a lot of commercial pin plastics and protectors are made with it because it cuts well and is more impact-resistant.

1 Like

@codenothing, I’m so glad you are part of this community. A pinball machine is a dream project, indeed something not to take lightly. Making a baseball pinball machine would be something I’d never stop talking about.

There are a TON of historical pinball machine videos on youtube but do yourself a favor and watch someone walk over this mechanical masterpiece if you haven’t already.

1937 Rockola World Series Baseball Arcade Game

The 1934 may be more elegant and some of the smaller mechanical table top ones may be more my speed but that 1937 makes me tingle in the Maker part of my brain.

4 Likes

Very cool! Do you have a build log somewhere?

1 Like

I’ve got an old pachinko game I’ve been holding on to for the day I have time to repair/tinker with it.

Never thought about replicating parts. Thx for the idea…lol

1 Like

@bbum Yea I have been recording my progress on the Pinside forum: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tiki-pinball

2 Likes

I did the same thing for our pinball machines! Currently my favorite is Twister, but we also have Apollo 13 and a few arcade units as well (Phoenix for one).

Good job!

1 Like

Coincidence, just ran into this too:

1 Like