Piping for misaligned edges

Newbie here. I have an art project that required a bird house pattern. Bought several from Etsy, and all had problems with every one, of one type or another. I have put a lot of hours into engraving the sides of the birdhouse with custom design work, yet realized when I put the roof on that the seams were horrible! Not because of glow forge, but a faulty pattern. So question is, does anyone have an artistic way to mask the bad joins? I’m thinking piping, but not sure what material for which to search! Thanks!

A pic would be helpful. Not really sure what the problem is.

2 Likes

Can you post a picture of the problem area on your project?

1 Like

Jinx.

3 Likes

Copper or Aluminum Strip Tape…it’s adhesive (will not come off) and looks very decorative. (Little bit pricey.)

Or you can glue on any veneer to cover it. Fill it with wood filler, sand it down flat and go to town.

3 Likes

I haven’t glued it yet because I got so upset when I realized the seams were wonky. Upon further inspection of the etsy site, I realized that the top of the birdhouse is even funky in their photo if you zoom into the roof section.

1 Like

By piping, do you mean caulk? I’m sure a good quality outdoor silicon caulk will do the job, if you need it to be water tight. Just give it plenty of time to cure (don’t want to expose the birdies to nasty fumes).

2 Likes

It’s hard to determine how big the gap is, but could you use a waterproof glue and clamp it?

You could also just recut the left side of the roof, slightly increasing the distance between the tab and the peak of the roof to eliminate the gap.

Thank you everyone. It’s an art project, not a real birdhouse. I made some ceramic birds for inside. Your suggestions were all great, and problem is solved. Much gratitude - Lynda

9 Likes