Pirates of Penzance Props

My friend was directing a production of The Pirates of Penzance and asked me to help gather some props. I made these two on the Glowforge, both cut from Harbor Freight foam mat. The Pirate King was able to clobber people with his crow bar with reckless abandon without causing any real damage. At 12 inches long, the skeleton key was cute (but, sadly, not functional).

It’s fun to be able to whip things like this out in a matter of minutes.

I also made a 20" x 84" banner for the production using the passthrough, but I failed to get a photo of it. (This took more than a matter of minutes.)

37 Likes

The pirates of Penzance. Wow been awhile since I have heard that title. Nice work!

12 Likes

They look great!

I agree, it’s so fun to be able to make what we want whenever we want!

11 Likes

These are wonderful…and very fun. You got the two shapes dialed in perfectly. Nice!

12 Likes

Very nice!!

10 Likes

Love the key! These type of projects provide so much fun when using the Glowforge.

8 Likes

They look great

7 Likes

Love the idea of a prop that’s safe to clobber with! :laughing:

8 Likes

Love it. Nice work

5 Likes

One of my all-time favorite movies! I have the Angela Lansbury/Kevin Kline version on DVD and have watched it too many times to count. The first time I watched it was on Showtime in 1984, and we had just bought our first video recorder and it was the first thing we ever recorded off tv. And the next week the Bible College my husband was going to and that I worked at put it on as a play. Then we saw the play years later when a professional theatre company put it on as just the “HMS Pinafore.” The Lansbury/Kline version is my favorite.

I watched it a couple weeks ago. Will watch it again today as I work on a GF project for a customer!

5 Likes

Great props. I agree that it’s great to be able to just whip things up. And Pirates of Penzance is a fun musical!

4 Likes

Last summer I had the privilege of seeing Pirates of Penzance at the Cincinatti Opera, it was a delight. Fun to think about cool props like yours being made on the Glowforge!

4 Likes

First, these are amazing. Love the scroll detail in the key’s shape. Second, I had no idea there was laser safe foam out there. I volunteer to make decorations for a lot of fundraising events and this info and material are very helpful. Great job and thanks!

3 Likes