Piss Poor Passthrough

I a not sitting on a chair made out of 1/4" material…

5 Likes

For all your massive amounts of creativity, you missed it here and forgive me if you were being tongue-in-cheek, You can easily layup thicker from thinner. Yes, I’d rather just cut thicker material on the saw and cnc but I’d love to see a chair done completely on a :glowforge:.

2 Likes

6 Likes

My brother once made a chair out of typical corrugated cardboard that a grown man could stand on without any concerns of it collapsing. Design + understanding your materials FTW.

6 Likes

I have a ~2" cube of interlocking medium draftboard that I can stand/balance on. I’m also heavier than the average grown man…

2 Likes

Not a chair but complex geometry can be as strong or stronger per pound than thick solid wood.

I recall some friends with a 50’ trimaran that the style needs a massive crossbeam to keep the various hulls from tearing it apart. The beam was 24" x 30" and the 45’ across the width of the boat, but the 24" width was 10 half-inch thick ply equally spaced making it far stronger and way lighter than if it had been solid.

4 Likes

My experience is with airplanes but yeah, I’m sure boats are the same.

2 Likes
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.