Planning shop location for the Glowforge

If you have room for an inexpensive large table top to hold the Glowforge and give you lots of room for related tasks, like the laptop to send the design, and a place to glue assemble the resulting parts, I strongly recommend a solid-core, smooth interior door! They are remarkably cheap, and come without a hole drilled for a doorknob or hinge insets. We bought one several years ago to use as a craft table, and threw a couple of cheap Ikea trestle desk supports under it (we used the ones that have a couple of shelves built in for some extra storage space), and it has been absolutely stable, can take a huge amount of weight with minimal or no sag, and did I mention it is cheap? I am sure it was less than $50 at home depot for a 36x78 work surface that will take anything we dish out!
We just left ours as it came (primed with flat white paint), so admittedly, it doesn’t look as nice as @jbv’s butcher block slab, but not all of us have something like that just lying around, either, and we will have no qualms about gluing up a creation on it either!

1 Like

The GF would look great on an OpenDesk!

All you need is 1 sheet of plywood ($40 - 60) and access to a CNC router.

1 Like

www.grizzly.com (the hobby machinery folks) sells butcher block table tops pretty inexpensively.

好棒的空間~非常羨慕

1 Like

希望我也有這樣的大桌子可以盡情創作, 現在我只有一張很小的電腦桌

1 Like

I posted an pic of my new desk and chair on a different thread. Here is an updated and decorated maker space for my glowforge. And @dan I don’t know if you are a football fan but if so we might see a repeat of super bowl 40 this year. Hopefully with the same results GO Steelers!!!

1 Like

I’m pretty sure @elsman18 meant super bowl XLV. I’m having difficulty finding your memorabilia from that day. It must be on the opposite wall where there is more room :wink:.

Super bowl 40 or XL was steelers vs Seahawks. Since glowforge is based in Seattle I figured @dan would be a Seahawks fan. Since they are both in the playoffs it would be possible to have a repeat of that Super Bowl this year. And yes the whole room is steelers lol that is just the corner for the glowforge.

Oh and the converse shirt full of holes is the shirt I wore they won super 40. Also the year I purchased my home and got married lol. It’s a pretty special shirt :wink:

Time for me to show off a different mancave location. I cleared space today, that white table with storage cabinet/bench i posted earlier in the thread will go in the more open space between my filing cabinet and manga bookshelf. 3ftx6ft table, so about half for the GF and half for assembling things.

There’s some baby toys out and a couple of storage bins that will get cleared out, the card table will go too.

One more shot of the other end of the room. Oh and don’t mind all them cardboard boxes, most are still yet to be cut down for harvesting.

Yes, I knew that. At the time I was typing 45, much preferred in the land of cheese and bratwurst, was still a possibility :sob:. As I type this XL isn’t looking like much of a possibility either.

Do you really have 38" of space on that desk?

I bought the exact same desk for my ‘laser pantry’ as elsman18. It’s not for the Glowforge though, it’s just for extra work space.

Had to take the table down my basement stairs in 3 parts (top, half base, half base) because of the size, but I got er done!

…now to clean up/harvest all that cardboard.

6 Likes

With convenient storage underneath. Nice.

That table is a beast. That will be awesome for the Glowforge. Are you venting out that window? or using a filter.

Using the filter from october to may… I live in Minnesota, where the weather’s gettin coldah.

Yes the super bowl dream is now over sadly. Next year brings new hope! And the desk has 2 inches extra on width and length lol. Didn’t measure it until it was already together lol.

@Sawa I’m in MN too. May I ask where you got that excellent table?

Baby Gap in the burnsville center mall is closing/relocating on the 26th. They were selling thier tables for 65 and the storage bench for 40, and they had some shelves for sale too.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I just called the store and they are sold out, alas.