Plastic timing belt retainer is failing

The plastic timing belt retainer* on the right side of the gantry fell off when I was cleaning and troubleshooting Glowbert my Glowforge. Upon inspection I discovered that the retainer is cracked. I reinstalled the part after the cleaning+maintenance procedure I was performing. The part is still functioning in the Glowforge, but I don’t expect it to last very long.

(More photos.)

Is this a commodity part? If so, what is the part model number so I can find a replacement? If not, am I able to get a replacement from Glowforge?

This part has never been removed or fallen off before. Given the lack of wear on the rest of my machine, it seems odd that this part should fail in this way. Have you seen this before?

*Apparently sometimes called a toothless idler pulley or (if it’s tapered) a tapered bushing.

While you wait I recommend some crazy glue to keep it together.

2 Likes

This opened a ticket for you, support will be able to arrange for a replacement for it when they see your post here.

I’ve seen this part crack/split before. I think the way the air assist fan cleaning instructions are written leads to putting a lot of unnecessary force on it. I always loosen the belt before removing and replacing it to hopefully avoid cracking this piece. In any case, customer support will be able to send you a replacement.

1 Like

Hi there @rljacobson

As others have indicated this is a part we can go ahead and get replaced for you. I’m sorry to hear you’ve run into this snag but we’ll make sure to get you taken care of. I’ve sent along a follow up email that should be arriving shortly to collect some more information from you so we can put that order together.

I’ll go ahead and close this topic for now and we can finish via that email thread.

3 Likes