Plates

Decided to try and create some custom painted and engraved keepsake plates. It’s been fun trying to figure out best practices and creating art. I will say I have ruined a few but it’s been fun none the less.

40 Likes

Very nice work! Thanks for showing us what you’ve been up to; and welcome to the forum.

6 Likes

Thank you so much

2 Likes

Great stuff! PLates are an interesting choice for media! Insirational!

5 Likes

Love the Bear!

3 Likes

Welcome.
Would you care to share some of your learning experience - what paint or coloring method did you find works best?

8 Likes

Well done! Those look great. Inspiring.

2 Likes

Those look awesome. You did a great job! Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

Nice work! It looks like you used a variety of plates. Are they all ceramic? We’d love to hear more about your techniques!

6 Likes

These are really nice! Very impressive, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sure, I’m always happy to help others grow. I used a variety of plates 7in to 9in diameter but find it’s easier to use clear plates spray painted with Krylon on the backside it gives it a nice shiny look on the front side. I used Inkscape and GIMP for designing and inverted the photo because I engraved on the back of the plate. I then used a different color paint to paint the engraved part. So far I’ve been using two colors but will soon try multicolor evgraves which will have to be done in different stages. I’ll have to paint a base layer, then engrave the first part and paint that, then engrave the second part then paint that. All separate colors of the plate will have to be engraved and painted separately which is going to challenging when it comes to alignment. I’ll post pics when I do it

5 Likes

Welcome!
I think these look fantastic!

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I would not have guessed Kryon paint. Nice results.

4 Likes

All turned out really nice!

3 Likes

Cool technique! Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

they look great! just to be clear, you spray paint, engrave and then spray the second color. Do you then respray the back with the original color to cover the colors for a unified look?

Sometimes I spray them with the original color then clear coat them and sometimes I just clear coat them after I spray the second color.

1 Like

Really nice!