Playing with 3D engrave

what she said

3 Likes

Wow! I still haven’t figured out 3D engraving. This is stunning.

Wow! That looks very cool! Love the details in 3D! Great job!

1 Like

Ah… Maze… Zing…

1 Like

This is fabulous! I’m curious though…I’d love to see the art file for this and your settings. I’ve been playing with 3d engraves in small scale miniatures.

1 Like

I have been trying to figure out how to use the lidar scanner in my new iPad Pro to make 3d depth maps for engraving. It’s a really neat feature on some of the new Apple mobile products but I really can’t much find information on the internet as to how I can make an engravable. Anybody else attempting this?

2 Likes

I can only comment that it’s intended for use with AR apps. Not sure it’s going to work for fine detail on objects.

2 Likes

Oh! I think I have one of those I got for a Christmas gift one year. Now to dig it out!

1 Like

It won’t produce a carvable file though. What you get is a 3D mesh (if I’ve guess correctly probably a 3D point cloud?). So this gives you 3D geometry. Then there is the fun of converting that to a 3D depth map (the grayscale thing the Glowforge needs). This is no different than taking a STL file from thingiverse and trying to engrave it. It takes some work as I note in this post:

I just found that file via google

The settings are just the default 3D Engrave settings except changing the LPI to 450.

6 Likes

Thanks! This helps.

with the 450 LPI how long did it take?

I am totally unfamiliar (read clueless) about 3d modeling but have some great ideas for some engraving if I can just figure out how to make the files.

The official specs are “top secret” but reviews show it’s very low resolution - much lower than the faceID scanner on the front. It appears to be designed for one purpose - to provide coarse awareness of a room/environment or large objects for AR purposes. If that’s what you’re looking for, apps for that appear to exist already.

1 Like

I’ll add - Adobe used to have a great 3D capture capability (I think it was called “capture”) using regular photos. It would prompt you through taking a bunch of pics all around an object at different heights, then send off to their cloud for processing. I think the resulting object came back as STL. Whatever it was, I was able to 3D print from it. I captured some sculptures at an equestrian facility and made little trinkets for the riders. I intended to model a vehicle then they shut down the app.

1 Like

There is still Mesh Lab

1 Like