Playing with 3D engrave

what she said

3 Likes

Wow! I still haven’t figured out 3D engraving. This is stunning.

Wow! That looks very cool! Love the details in 3D! Great job!

1 Like

Ah… Maze… Zing…

1 Like

This is fabulous! I’m curious though…I’d love to see the art file for this and your settings. I’ve been playing with 3d engraves in small scale miniatures.

1 Like

I have been trying to figure out how to use the lidar scanner in my new iPad Pro to make 3d depth maps for engraving. It’s a really neat feature on some of the new Apple mobile products but I really can’t much find information on the internet as to how I can make an engravable. Anybody else attempting this?

2 Likes

I can only comment that it’s intended for use with AR apps. Not sure it’s going to work for fine detail on objects.

2 Likes

Oh! I think I have one of those I got for a Christmas gift one year. Now to dig it out!

1 Like

It won’t produce a carvable file though. What you get is a 3D mesh (if I’ve guess correctly probably a 3D point cloud?). So this gives you 3D geometry. Then there is the fun of converting that to a 3D depth map (the grayscale thing the Glowforge needs). This is no different than taking a STL file from thingiverse and trying to engrave it. It takes some work as I note in this post:

2 Likes

I just found that file via google

The settings are just the default 3D Engrave settings except changing the LPI to 450.

8 Likes

Thanks! This helps.

with the 450 LPI how long did it take?

I am totally unfamiliar (read clueless) about 3d modeling but have some great ideas for some engraving if I can just figure out how to make the files.

The official specs are “top secret” but reviews show it’s very low resolution - much lower than the faceID scanner on the front. It appears to be designed for one purpose - to provide coarse awareness of a room/environment or large objects for AR purposes. If that’s what you’re looking for, apps for that appear to exist already.

1 Like

I’ll add - Adobe used to have a great 3D capture capability (I think it was called “capture”) using regular photos. It would prompt you through taking a bunch of pics all around an object at different heights, then send off to their cloud for processing. I think the resulting object came back as STL. Whatever it was, I was able to 3D print from it. I captured some sculptures at an equestrian facility and made little trinkets for the riders. I intended to model a vehicle then they shut down the app.

1 Like

There is still Mesh Lab
https://www.meshlab.net/#download

1 Like

Awesome job! Cleaning up the engravement really makes it pop! I have had so much ‘charred’ wood that on this type of engrave that it wasn’t salvageable.

too bad sarcastic off topic criticism doesn’t morph into sunshine! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Holey Schmoley that is gorgeous — much better than expected seeing some past efforts by others. Cleaning well makes all the difference. What kind of time does it take to run that project?

Seems like could be a great use for old Sonicare brush heads, too. Thanks for the inspiration!