Playing with engraving on hardwood

Just a few experiments.

50 Likes

Nice!!!:smiley::smiley::smiley:

5 Likes

A lot of wow factor potential there.

2 Likes

Very intriguing! I would have said that the entire handle is too big to fit into the Glowforge. I guess it’s smaller than I thought, or you worked some kind of magic!

4 Likes

Did you hang the thick part over the end of the honeycomb or take the honeycomb out?

8 Likes

Whoa! You didn’t waste any time! Way to go! :grin::+1: :hedgie::hedgie::hedgie:

(Glad to see you can get the handles in there…did you take the tray out?)

4 Likes

Very nice! I’d love to see how you cradled the handled during the engraving.

3 Likes

For the several of you that are wondering how I worked this out.
I removed the crumb tray and proped it on a board with the head hanging off the end. At some point I’ll need to make a jig for repeatability.
Something I’ve observed but can’t guarantee is that the head won’t go south or east of the farthest cut from park which is Northwest.

8 Likes

Would love to see a picture of the setup if possible! Very exciting!

1 Like

When I get a proper jig cut I’ll post it. I literally just set it on a 1x2 for these experiments.

5 Likes

Out of likes already (that’s what I get for not checking the Forums over the weekend), but this is what I’ve been waiting on. Once you are ready to sell your B# with lasered handles, let me know! I’ve been wanting to purchase some of your sharpeners for awhile, just wanted to wait till they were marked by your GF.

6 Likes

Give me several days to play and then either PM me or get up with me on Etsy. I was afraid that anything I had finished was locked in, but the experiments show that etching over the BLO/CA finish actually works better than on raw wood as it contains the sap that gets stirred up with the heat.

I am more than a little giddy that everything wood will now have a makers mark and can be customized.

5 Likes

Definitely will do.

2 Likes

27 Likes

I must get one of these now. I do think I’ve earned it.

7 Likes

Very nice – I especially like the knotwork one…

2 Likes

Need one! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Did you have any problems getting within the .5 focal range?

Not a bit.

5 Likes

…and the scars to prove it!

3 Likes