Please can a glowforge guru help?

/home/tpcockrell/aaglowforge/cutting files/a mom’s designs an files in progress/powerswatch.svg.zip

can somebody look at this file (if I put it in right?) and tell me why, when I put in in the GFUI it doesn’t tell me what square I’m trying to set the settings for. Usually the part you are about to put the settings in for glows blue on the screen, but here I have 20 separate identical squares and I don’t know which one is which to program the cut.

Your file does not show up for me. In general, when you input settings for a section of a design you will see it highlighted blue on the bed.

1 Like

Yes to this…your only option is to assign settings to each one until you hit the one you want to cut. It doesn’t differentiate colors in the thumbnails.

(An advanced method for dealing with it is to use the color palette to order your cuts, but even I wouldn’t try it for 20 colors. It would just take too long.)

1 Like

If it is not glowing blue on the screen then a possible cause is you don’t have a proofgrade material detected and you have not entered a height. The other most likely cause is your design is not inside the working area. Move it more towards the center. It is probably one of these two things if I understand your question.

2 Likes

I think I did use one of those palettes jules. I got it off a thread on here and it was talking about ordering things by color… I don’t think i really understood completely what they were talking about but when you mentioned it, it clicked, so you are saying if I DID use this palette, they should be showing up in order?

1 Like

maybe that’s it. maybe I hadn’t put anything in yet…

Yep. But with 20 of them, it’s hard to remember what order the colors appear in. Why do you have them set up with so many colors?

because I wanted a different setting for each square so I wanted to identify them correctly

Ah! Some kind of Engrave test? Those are a beeyatch to set up, but yes, you do need to use different colors in that case.

Put something in there for settings for each one, you can just click on Manual settings and let it default to 1%/1000, then go down the thumbnail column and hover the cursor over each thumbnail. The one that it applies to will turn blue instead of orange. Then you can change the settings information for that square.

1 Like

ahhhhhh!!! yes, it’s a swatch engrave test!!

When I’m doing something like that, just to make sure I can identify each engrave correctly afterward, I take a screen shot of the menu on the left side that shows each individual setting.

1 Like

Screenshots are my new memory. Problem is, where did I file the multiple screenshots I have – airline reservations, order confirmations, Glowforge settings, grocery list…

3 Likes

If the piece is outside the work area by any part It will not glow. If you put the arrow over the part itself, and you have assigned it Something it will glow red then blue. If it stays gray it is outside the cutable area.

A weirdness I sometimes see is some tiny bit that is combined with the part you want is outside the area and folk go crazy figuring that out. If you click on the part you get a rectangle enclosing the part and if this is the problem the rectangle will also go around that odd piece.

1 Like

Thank you for the input, everyone! @craftracoons did these tips help you get your file set up the way you wanted? If not, could you please take a screenshot or two of what you see in the app when you’re trying to set up your file? Make sure to include the rulers and to show as much of the bed as possible.

Here’s how:

• Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop.

• Windows: Click on the Start Menu and type “snipping tool”. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file.

If you’d prefer, you can send the screenshot to support@glowforge.com.

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.