Plexiglass ornaments and cake toppers

I currently have two larger format lasers I use in my business for cutting stencils and templates for face and body painting, but I like to play with different materials. Here are some xmas ornaments and a cake topper I made for my daughters wedding.

15 Likes

Beautiful! I can see making these from silhouettes of special photos, too!

1 Like

Very nice! Does anyone know if the glowforge will cut lps? (vinyl records?)

Sorry, @PlGHEADED–no dice. LPs have chlorine in them, and so will mess up your laser and your lungs. The best answer that people have is cutting a piece of black acrylic into an LP shape with whatever other cutouts you want. Not so satisfying, unfortunately.

1 Like

As @morganstanfield said, we may not be able to cut records, but with some black acrylic and this awesome instructable, I bet we could get something that will fool a lot of people until they take a closer look!!

2 Likes

I love all of these, but i think the legend of Zelda one is my fav

2 Likes

I did those for my older-gamer son…lol

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. On a seperate but kind of related note - as something to ponder. If the GF can do 3d or depth as well, what are the possibilities of making an album out of plexiglass or acrylic ( ie cutting the grooves?). Hmmm… There are programs that will take an mp3 and change that to a “3d cut record” for trying to make a wooden record on a cnc I believe. Of course your needle life would be short and sound quality… but the idea is interesting…

If the output for the design file is a greyscale raster with depth as a gradient, gf could_potentially do that upto 1000dpi… to paraphrase other topics and information.

You may want to check out the Laser Cut Records thread!

Waiting as patiently as I can for the GF and I finally got time on a laser so I was inspired to make some birthday cake toppers. These are in mirrored gold acrylic.

11 Likes

I love 'em! How cool will it be to make custom phrases for cake and flower picks?!

3 Likes

Love those. I recently made a cake topper for a wedding and one for a baby shower. Great job on yours.

2 Likes

These are cool! What settings did you use and where did you get the acrylic?

Sorry! These were done on an Epilog so long ago, I don’t remember!