Polar Vortex Day!

So, low temp tonight of -26 degrees with wind chills of over -50. Everything’s closed tomorrow, so I get a free day to laser the heck out of stuff. Monday was a snow day too! What to do…

sorry%20folks

17 Likes

You want to start thinking about water pipes close to exterior walls… :grimacing:

5 Likes

Already dripping the faucets!

4 Likes

Let us know if the smoke goes out the vent and then crashes to the ground :cold_face:
It was 36 here this morning, not enough to kill the tomatoes but colder than I realized. This is the first time I have actually had tomatoes come to ripe, they always freeze or are destroyed by bugs, I have to pay closer attention.

4 Likes

Only one thing to do in a case like this:

laser

And stay warm. :wink:

9 Likes

Unfortunately, it would appear that Puffette spent a few days at Disney before showing up in Orlando and has not even made it to Tampa yet :frowning_face:

And how is it that she was living in Ft Worth and not Washington?

4 Likes

Man…I’m thinking about everyone who’s in the path of the polar freeze. I can’t even imagine. I’m glad it won’t last for much longer.

5 Likes

Polar Vortex? Names for a cold front?

Was not that long ago we just called it Winter…

I guess things changed when the goal is to gather clicks instead of just telling what is where.

Everyone please stay warm and safe. Not your first rodeo, so you know what you need to do.

3 Likes

Was not that long ago the polar vortex stayed around the pole and moved so fast is spit off sub-vortexes that were called fronts that moved faster with less extreme weather.

4 Likes

So weird that everyone else seems to be having such harsh winter weather, and here in SW Washington I haven’t even had to scrape ice off my windshield yet. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

In Northwest Ohio. We’re down to -40 or so with the Windchill. The furnace can’t keep up, but luckily we have a gas fireplace that is helping us and keeping the house at the normal temps. The dog has a coat, and he hasn’t pooped in the house yet. :poop: Hopefully we can all survive the week, looks like it will be 80 degrees warmer (a balmy 40) this weekend.

3 Likes

It’s warmed up a bit since this morning, and is a balmy -17 degrees with -41 wind chill. Well you know that it’s cold when they start closing bars in Wisconsin. Yes, maybe first time ever, but bars are closing. In Wisconsin. I personally don’t drink much anymore, and haven’t even had a beer since last year, and am not in any way condoning this type of binge drinking. But, thought I’d pass on some useless knowledge on why that is a shock to people from WI.

:beers:
Considering that Wisconsin has 7 of the top ten drunkest cities in America, and 12 out of the top 20, Sconnies take their drinking seriously. Wisconsin also leads the nation with 2.7 times the number of bars as grocery stores. Playboy also used to do a list of top 10 party schools, and always had a * next to number 1. They would say that the *University of Wisconsin Madison is not listed because we don’t rate the amateurs with the professionals.

20 DRUNKEST CITIES IN AMERICA

1. Appleton, Wisconsin
  2. Oshkosh-Neenah, Wisconsin
  3. Green Bay, Wisconsin
  4. Madison, Wisconsin
  5. Fargo, North Dakota
  6. La Crosse-Onalaska, Wisconsin
  7. Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
  8. Ames, Iowa
  9. Eau Claire, Wisconsin
  10. Mankato-North Mankato, Minnesota
  11. Wausau, Wisconsin
  12. Sheboygan, Wisconsin
  13. Missoula, Montana
  14. Grand Forks, North Dakota
  15. Racine, Wisconsin
  16. Janesville-Beloit, Wisconsin
  17. Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, Wisconsin
  18. Lincoln, Nebraska
  19. Iowa City, Iowa
  20. Corvallis, Oregon

3 Likes

Anti-freeze?

3 Likes

Think about a river, where is is moving along quickly It will bend but in places where it is slower the bends overwhelm the moving and you get oxbow lakes. The Polar vortex coming to Ohio is just such an Oxbow Lake of polar air. For every oxbow on one side there are oxbows on the other dumping warmer air to fill in for the chunk visiting Ohio,.

1 Like

Polar what?

13 Likes

Just a couple days ago you two were frolicking in the snow.

4 Likes

My peas are definitely enjoying the “cooler” weather! :grin:

Stay warm, midwestern Glowforgers!

6 Likes

Don’t jinx yourself. It’s been known to do strange things in Feb and March here in our part of the country.

3 Likes

Just a thought thatyou might find winged beans interesting.

1 Like

Those do look like fun! I see they even have the seeds at one of the places I get some of my more exotic stuff. Thanks!

1 Like