Polynesia Inspired Earrings

As I recently stated in my last post, I don’t share as often as I’d like to because I enjoy doing write ups. At the suggestion of a user or two, I’ve decided to just go ahead and post one of my (semi) recent projects with just basic info on the process!

So these are made from medium PG maple with the classic engrave options, no custom settings. I originally did them in the medium walnut but the details are kind of lost in the darkness of the wood. I custom make the holders from black cardstock that I’ve double layered with stick glue with the custom settings on engrave
Manual Focus - .02" (My regular cardstock was .01, so doubled makes it the .02)
Speed - 650
Power - 5
Cut
Speed - 1000
Power - Full (Basic machine)

Anyway, that’s what I got tonight!

46 Likes

Very pretty! :grinning:

2 Likes

Nice! As an aside, how go’s things on the big island?

1 Like

Well I’m on Oahu, but I hear the big island is settling down finally. What with Kauai with the flooding in the winter and the big island having volcanic eruptions I got a few phone calls from family back on the mainland haha. I started to just send them this pic

18 Likes

Glad to hear, being on the big island down here I was getting concerned. I follow your work and am inspired.

4 Likes

Those are gorgeous!

2 Likes

Beautiful presentation of the great work you’ve done with these earrings.

4 Likes

Take a look at matte board used in picture framing. Micheals, Blicks, etc have it too. It comes in various thicknesses and you can get white cored versions so when you engrave it exposes the white. That way you wouldn’t have to do build-ups of cardstock layers - save you some time & gluing :slightly_smiling_face:

Thick stuff (.030") costs me about $12 for a 32"x48" white core with contrasting surface colors. (The place I get mine carries about 200 different colors, thicknesses & surface finishes.)

4 Likes

Oooooo, love the earrings! Those engraved display cards are really cool too!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone on the feedback! I know that if a bunch of laser wielding people can appreciate these, than maybe the general public will as well!

You have no idea how hard I’ve been looking for an affordable replacement for what I’ve been doing! I think I have come across this white core stuff, but it’s typically 2-4x more expensive than my current method, but that was in in the standard 8x11 size. I think I spend around $12 for 50 sheets, which ends up being 25 after being doubled, so it’s still economically better this way :tired_face: BUT It is a good alternative to look for next time I’m looking. I went through a few stores over here, but living on an island limits your options…

1 Like

I get mine from Jerry’s Artarama (they have a couple of stores). They’re an art supply place vs the more generic Michael’s type of hobby/craft store. I expect shipping sucks because of the dimensional size. But you’re right - when they cut it you pay a premium for the smaller sizes.

If you have an artists speciality store that would be a good place to start. I cut them in half using a utility knife and then feed it through the slot in the Pro so I only have to make a single manual cut and the GF does the rest. If you’ve got a basic you’ll have to make additional cuts to bed size.

I wonder whether you could but a framing shop’s castoffs. When they frame a picture I’d guess they throw out the center piece they cut out. For your purposes those pieces would be fine since you’re cutting little squares.

3 Likes

The earrings are awesome … But, think your backer card is pretty awesome, too!

2 Likes

ROFLMAO :rofl:

During the Three Mile Island emergency, we got calls from upstate NY relatives asking if THEY should evacuate. We were in Hershey, PA, about 7-9 miles downwind of the plant.

Love the map.

6 Likes

Posttstown here. But we’re heading to the park next week. Haven’t been there in years. Shame I can’t eat chocolate anymore. :wink:

Enjoy!! My wife and I were there a few times this year to help put my parents house on the market. The town has really changed since we were dating there in the 70s/80s. Looks really nice. They did have flooding recently downtown due to excessive rain.

1 Like

No kidding. Went to our neighborhood park yesterday for a bike ride. Couldn’t even see the trail! It’s temporarily become part of the river!

I’m sure we’ll have a blast. It’s on the kids’ pre-going-back-to-school to-do list. Last week we went to the Jersey Aquarium. We also want to try and hit the Philly Zoo and maybe the Battleship New Jersey. I must say, if you have ANY interest in such things, that Battleship New Jersey is really something. We went a few years ago and spent hours and hours doing a self-guided tour. The staff really know the history of the ship and, I’ll tell ya, it’s a pretty fascinating history. Even RECENT history involving Chris Christie.

If you ever have the chance check out the Massachusetts in Fall River. It has more spaces open to the public. I’ve done Scout sleepovers on both and was amazed at the difference.

While you’re there the rest of the ships at Battleship Cove are really outstanding.

2 Likes

I love it when staff really get to know their subject. My dad went to visit the Intrepid. His grandfather served on it and lost all of his WWII shipmates that worked in his team in a kamikaze hit just after he was transferred. Shattered him. My dad got special permission to go to where his father’s bunk was in the restored area. But I’m off topic…

2 Likes

The earrings are alluring, and the placement and photography enhance the effect. Thanks for posting - look forward to seeing more!

3 Likes

Lovely, lovely earnings. Thank you for sharing them. Folks should snap them right up! Thanks for the settings.

2 Likes