Polyurethane Leather (PVC Free) - Safe?

I was wondering if it’s safe to cut Polyurethane Leather? It’s PVC Free and according to this site (http://www.lasercuttingshapes.com/materials/) they say Polyurethane is laser safe. The only question is their site only refers to foam. I just wanted to make sure, from either Glowforge or the community that it is safe. I’m really interested in vegan materials/fabrics. Suggestions? Thanks everyone!

1 Like

for ease of checking it out I would imagine that if they are marketing it as laser safe then it probably is. they would have to accept some level of liability if it were not but you can always check the MSDS and if you are at all uncomfortable cutting the material then don’t.

Looks like there is a version that is fairly safe. http://www.debralynndadd.com/q-a/the-toxicity-of-polyurethane/ That said, always ask for the msds

This site, https://www.discounteddesignerfabrics.com/shop/g771-brown-pvc-free-polyurethane-faux-leather-leatherette/ sells this type of leather I’m interested in. It says: Content:100% Polyurethane (Pvc/Lead Free), 34Oz. Flammability: UFAC CLASS 1/CA. 117 #E, but doesn’t say anything about MSDS. I actually contacted the store and they are getting the msds for me. What should I be looking for…toxic fumes from vaporization?

On another note…would this material be safe? https://www.discounteddesignerfabrics.com/shop/gray-microsuede-upholstery-fabric/ It says it’s 100% Woven Polyester? From what I’ve read…polyester is safe. Any past users of this material with photos of the engraving look?

1 Like

Depends on the faux leather. The original pleather, definitely not, but some of the new stuff is supposed to be. I’ve seen vegan-leather laser cut shoes (of course maybe they don’t care so much about the workers as the shoes) and I’ve found chemical descriptions that imply it would be laser safe. I’ve also had difficulty finding suppliers in quantities for less than a factory, although it looks like some of those links may have solved that issue.

FYI - The msds is now the sds (at least in the US) though most people I think still say msds.

What should one look for in an SDS or MSDS in order to determine whether or not a material is safe for laser cutting or engraving? Chlorinated compounds are an obvious indicator and I gather that certain adhesives can be problematic as well, but what are the specific indicators?

3 Likes

I just ran across this stuff, kraft tex. It looks like it will be fun to play with. I’m definitely getting some of it to try.

3 Likes

KRAFTEX - this stuff laser cuts great. I like to put several layers together with fabric glue, then cut shapes. it makes a very nice lightweight earring. I have used it for key fobs too and one has worn as well as leather for about 4 years now. it engraves fine too. it paints up really nice with acrylics and with lumiere paints. it also dyes really really well.

1 Like

@lcuellar63 @cathybrucepurdy I had to go look up what you were talking about, and it looks so useful and cool! I’m especially interested in seeing what it engraves like.

In case anyone else doesn’t know what it is, here ya go.

1 Like

this one is engraved on a ULS, and then painted with metallic acrylic paints. my preference is jacquard Lumiere with a sponge. the darker one is done with blackmail polish then a turquoise nail polish that cracks when it dries, then topped with a doming resin (little windows)

these are engraved with a ULS. I have a glow forge now, but used to belong to Tech Shop and they had ULS. I use fabric glue to glue 2-4 layers together and then cut with laser. I might have clear coated them with something…probably leather finish or a clear ply brush on. I don’t use mod podge much so probably not that.
these are all about 5 years old and have hung on my purse all this time.
I will say that the white takes dye and stain better. it takes a Procion type chemical dye best, something like Rit dye is all right but not as vibrant. they all take an acrylic paint really nicely. it also SEWS nicely.

3 Likes