Popping sound at beginning of job

I noticed a popping sound (like the sound of a small suction cup sort of) at the beginning of an engraving job (on wood). The job finished and cut the perimeter with no problem, so I repeated the job for the next one. Same thing. Then I wondered if I’m wasn’t remembering correctly because there is no light in the laser tube, and I really thought there was before. Am I crazy, or is something wrong with my 7-month-old barely used machine?

2 Likes

If there was actually no light, then there would be no cutting or engraving so it’s probably just lighter than you’re remembering, but popping is definitely not expected behavior.
Can you record a video and upload it to YouTube/Vimeo/etc. and then link it here (if you try to upload it directly the community can’t handle the file size)

2 Likes

Oh no, I’m sorry you’ve hit a snag.

Would it be possible for you to share a video documenting the noise?

This will allow us to determine the next best steps.

Hello @shannonlhill13, we haven’t heard from you in a while, so I wanted to check in.

Are you still experiencing the sound when working with your Glowforge? If so, can you please post a short video of the sound for us? That will greatly help us to investigate the issue.

If the sound is no longer happening, please let us know and we’ll go ahead and close this thread. Thank you!

Sorry. I should update. We determined we should do a good cleaning as we noticed a lot of dust buildup from a particular exotic hardwood we were using. That was the problem.

Hey @shannonlhill13,

I’m glad to hear you were able to find the cause of the trouble and get it resolved. That is great news!

I’m going to close this thread now. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re happy to help!