Possible backsplash for a kitchen?

My wife bought this wood backsplash and it wasn’t cheap. It’s just reclaimed wood stuck on to a mesh backing. Anyone know if the GF would be able to reproduce this? There are some curved surfaces and cracks and knots and more decorative wood features. Just thinking how much money it would save to have the GF cut and engrave the shape and cracks and what not. Thinking removing the honey comb tray cause it’s about an 1" to 1 1/4" and its max height. Anyway here’s some pics of the one box we purchased.

13 Likes

I guess you could either photograph some of this stuff and make dupes or build some kind of script that would throw down a little of this and that imperfection. But it might end up looking like those “brick” panels.

Looks like the thickness is OK, I’d say that would be a good project for your 'forge!
The texture of heavily weathered wood is a cool architectural detail.

It’s pretty cool looking. Definitely easy enough to do with some pallet wood without the Glowforge. But with a Glowforge and depending upon how the 3D engraving turns out, you could do some cool weathering patterns to make your own.

As a kitchen backsplash, I prefer smooth surfaces with nothing that can collect grime. I absolutely destroy kitchens when I cook and I just wouldn’t feel that wood with this type of surface would come clean enough, no matter how many top coats.

7 Likes

While I have misgivings about all the stuff that could get caught in the uneven cracks. this looks like a better out of the Glowforge project to me.

It shouldn’t be too hard to find distressed wood that’s naturally got a lot of character from people throwing out old fence posts, decks, and the like. then you just need to cut the thin strips, stain and seal it and throw up the bits in a randomish order on a backing.

With the Glowforge especially the pro you could take some 1/4 inch ply and place random etchings in it, the 3d engrave based on shading would likely be a big help here. and come up with a reasonable facsimile on it to follow with the seal and stain before placing on a more substantial backing. Non proofgrade wood might even be a bonus here as the imperfections would produce more randomness, just make sure to pick a laser safe plywood. The biggest drawback I can see is that laser engraved wood always looks burnt to me. So unless you’re trying to make something that you won’t get close to, similar to screen printed tiles, I suspect it will always look a bit off.

If you try it once you get your Glowforge I totally want to see it though. could turn out awesome in crazy unexpected ways.