Possible Battery Backup

hope it’s a small file and you have unlimited data

Don’t know if it makes a difference but @dan has said they’ve only tasted with sine-wave power. The UPS I have has the ratings but is simulated sine-wave. Of course someone may pop in here and tell us they’re all simulated as its a DC -> AC inherently made difference.
Of course the only things on the backup right now are modem and WiFi so the GF would be okay. I’ve found that comcast generally still has signal during power outages. Just need to keep the modem and router powered.

2 Likes

In my experience, approximated sine wave from an UPS will not disturb most electronic devices. While I know that you have to test it to make sure, I do see that Dan has mentioned some limited testing on an UPS. I run all my computers and printers and internet providing devices on UPSs and none of them have had any issues, so unless the laser has some issue I think you will be fine.

2 Likes

We’ve only tested on “pure sine wave” UPSs, unfortunately.

As long as the Glowforge unit has power it will finish its print in nearly every situation, so I would focus on powering the GF and not the network equipment, computer, etc.

8 Likes

That brings up a good point. @dan, about how much data is transferred to drive, say, a ten minute job? KBs? MBs? GBs?

1 Like

Looks like the APC Smart-UPS line is pure sine wave where the Back-UPS line is approximated.

3 Likes

Yeah… that’s what he said.