Possible change in the way text is handled?

Continuing the discussion from Nothing Uploading:

Continuing this from @timtsuga’s original failure to upload post. @Rita’s response seems to indicate a change in the way the GFUI deals with text in a file. Previously it would warn us and ignore the text similar to the way clipping paths are treated. Now it looks like it just won’t load the file. If this was a deliberate change it deserves mention in a Support Announcement update so we know we can’t leave instructional text (providing notes about the file for instance) that’s not intended to be cut/scored/engraved unless we convert that to paths and then ignore them in the GFUI.

If it was intentional tightening up of file handling then it deserves a dedicated error message. It would also suggest that similar tightening around handling clipping paths might be coming. I know GF won’t comment on work in process, but if it is and you’re going to do the same with clipping paths so it’s no longer simply a warning message, would you post that in a Support announcement update when you release it and provide a specific message rather than the generic fail so we know how to correct our files?

Thanks in advance for considering it. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

My files uploaded fine later in the morning @jamesdhatch. Yea!!!

They had text, but it was converted to path and filled. @Rita closed out the Topic but I did Message her, the first time I have Messaged staff. Interesting that the Message to her did not show up in my list of sent Messages, so I don’t know if it got thru or if Discourse does not let users view Messages sent to staff.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the quick close didn’t allow for follow up to find out particulars of your scenario and how it might apply to the rest of us :frowning:

At least it’s working now.

1 Like

I just saw a related topic, Unexpected Error… I swear it was not visible this morning or I would have tagged onto that topic.

The internet has been really weird the last few days, emails taking hours to show up, my browser can’t load some websites (can’t load GlowForge site in Safari the last two days), very slow response time, and it seems it can be hours before a new topic appears on Discourse on this forum which is unusual. It took about 5 minutes for my topic to post this morning, usually it is immediate.

So I think something “larger” is going on.

Maybe Non-Neutral Net Neutrality has been implemented by our new political administration in DC! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Corel automatically converts text to curves when file is saved.
May want to look at your Save As parameters and see if you can click that on with your art program as well.
Done this way, any black text that was added for cutting parameter or other instructions can just be ignored when they show up on the UI service list.

1 Like

One of the reasons I love Corel :slightly_smiling_face:

There is a similar option in Inkscape but it’s buried & I don’t remember where it is.

1 Like

I create all my complex text in Affinity Designer then bring it into Inkscape for final processing. AD text wrapping capability is beyond amazing. I will have to hunt for that text option in Inkscape! Thanks!

Corel and I do not get along @brokendrum, I have taken svg files to a local laser vendor and they have never been able to open them in Corel.

1 Like

I have been noticing and experiencing the same things in the last several days. I thought it was just me…

1 Like

I think you and me were very early AD purchasers / users!!! Another characteristic that I love about AD is when you can bring in a very large and complex GeoPDF’s. AD maintains all the layers and allows editing of these layers as individual layers. Inkscape likes to combine them into a single layer.

1 Like

Some how I replied to myself!!! Lol!!

I think you and me were very early AD purchasers / users!!! Another characteristic that I love about AD is when you can bring in a very large and complex GeoPDF’s. AD maintains all the layers and allows editing of these layers as individual layers. Inkscape likes to combine them into a single layer.

1 Like

In Affinity Designer the checkbox for this is very prominent, one of the few options that’s available without clicking the “More” button to get the advanced settings:

Yes, I think you’re right. I love AD but still have so much to learn. Some of that being what you said about GeoPDFs…I don’t even know what those are, much less what to do with them. :roll_eyes: But, I can certainly appreciate your testimony to AD that you find them easy to work with.

Thanks for the feedback and discussion. I don’t have anything to add just yet, but am listening.