Practical cuts

Thanks! You know I completely forgot I made this… she’s coming next week to do my blood work so I’ll find out then if she still uses it.

4 Likes

I got this lamp to go next to my long-awaited new couch.

I didn’t catch that there was a cord management issue until I had it set up. So, I made some quick clips from 1/8” Baltic birch, hit them with a half-assed stain job and, voila!

37 Likes

Very elegant practical cut!

3 Likes

a much nicer looking version of a mic stand cord clip… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I mean … probably? It was a subconscious influence in this case. Seemed like a pretty obvious design.

2 Likes

Curious which end of the lamp did you dissemble to get em on?

Awesome practical cut
:heart:

1 Like

yeah, i edited. i meant that to be more humorous than it came across originally.

1 Like

The boom arm portion with the light is a ball that sits in a little bowl with a strong magnet in it. So, I just had to lift that up and slide them on.

No worries! I chuckled and, didn’t think you meant anything unkind.

2 Likes

I’m also laughing because I think you have the identical couch to my folks :stuck_out_tongue:

Mind sharing the source of the lamp? That’s beautiful in it’s cleanliness and yet still wood (so many designs of that style are chrome and black…) The magnet attachment just puts it over the top - and now I know how to deal with the cord management issue!

4 Likes

I would buy the thing JUST for the magnet! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Bravo, what a nice solution!

2 Likes

I’ll PM you. I really don’t want to promote the retailer after how they handled everything.

If you get one, I am happy to share the file for the clips, if you want it.

2 Likes

Too late for a me too please? :grin:

1 Like

Love the look of that lamp. Even more than a management issue, I have a thing about not having to see the cords coming out of electrical stuff, so I go to big measures to hide them as much as possible. The more wireless stuff is, the better I like it.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much it. This was more for the visual clutter of the cord just flopping around than any mechanical need to control it. It wasn’t in my way. It just didn’t look good.

I am still trying to come up with a way to have a cordless spherical light source that just floats in the air.

1 Like

Fusion. Just give it a year or two… :smile:

1 Like

A new stock for the rifle my daughter and I use for matches is built to extremely tight tolerances, so much that changes in temperature can cause the magazine well to contact the magazines, and they don’t drop out cleanly - which is critical in the middle of a round where magazine changes are required.

I made this simple, but precise and sturdy insert to keep in the well when not in use, which keeps the spacing exactly where it needs to be. It’s tapered by about 10 thou. top to bottom. A little paste wax makes it easy to slot in and remove.

13 Likes

I have a DeWalt portable workbench, which is great for many things, but vise-like clamping is not one of them.

So I cut these from cheap 5mm plywood,

used yellow glue and brass rod for alignment, before adding some dowels and a vise,

and then placed in the dog holes.

In the second picture you’ll notice one of the dowel holes was off, but the pull saw fixed that little issue. Only three of the holes on the vise sit flat, so I only bolted three of the corners. I don’t have a dust collection system so I try to sand outside and this sure makes it easier for pieces that need to be perpendicular to the bench.

16 Likes

Your helper makes the project even better.

2 Likes

A most excellent idea. I think I might just copy that since I am in a similar situation.