Well, Jules suggesting I was “breaking rules” “ for fun” was just plain rude to suggest. I did my level best to follow the suggestions others had made, even going as far as saying Dan had censored his own post that way before. I deleted the posts, and I was only responding to another user’s request. Saying I broke a rule to have fun is pretty darn petty. Look through all my other posts and note that I’ve only been helpful and had my posts earn badges left and right. It’s not like I have some history of trying to stir up sh**.
I’ve sent you instructions on how to block further communications from me. You’ve got the wrong end of the stick here, but if you were offended, you were offended.
So, how about those practical cuts. . .
Made some double-sided inboxes as well as a couple paperclip and pencil holders for the office a while back. They saddle the 2x2 dividers between each guys space and have helped everyone keep their cubbies a bit cleaner, and generally better supplied with pens.
Reminds me a little of Marvin the Martian.
To quote George Carlin. “Stuff expands to fill the space available.”
Carlin was an optimist. It usually expands far beyond the space available.
You can see where I used a lot of these…
This would qualify as well.
And every magic fingers box has magic fingered scrap that makes very strong magic fingered angles that have a lot of uses.
So I’m not entirely sure this counts as practical . It’s a frame about 4x3" that fits on the lid/screen of the laptop I got for the micromakerspace. Right in front of the webcam. So if you have something that won’t trace well you can take a picture and then play with it in editing software. If we could get images back from the gfui, this wouldn’t be needed. (and it probably isn’t needed anyway, but with Festi boxes it took almost no time to design and cut)
And yes, the laptop has a top bezel that big. It’s surplus.
Looks practical to me! I’m always taking pics with my phone and immediately transferring them to the laptop.
Nothing exciting, but it serves a purpose. If I use non-dremel filament in my 3D printer, I use the TUSH (The Ultimate Spool Holder) from Thingiverse.
Problem is, this tends to slide across the desk as filament is pulled into the printer. I made a mount to hold the TUSH bearings from some scrap draftboard, and put rubber feet on the bottom. Latest print, no movement across the desk. Problem solved.
Notice how the filament is almost perfectly, satisfyingly, wound on this spool.
What kind of kerf compensation did you use for these? Did you have to glue them?
Every spool I have “springs” apart if I don’t leave a rubber band on it. That means there is always some resistance to it as it feeds. My SD has a rod across the back for hanging spools, but I do have to keep an eye on it which is a pain…
I needed a strong work table to put my saw on and had several 18" square tiles. I forgot that the fingers lose a bit when put together but in making a bit of a hang out that did not improve the look but did make it stronger.
Started making these so I can remember what each switch is setup to do on any particular plane.
Perhaps they will get more artful with time but for now they are fully useful.
The backing is cut from foam board and then the graphics are print-and-cut on a polyester mailing label. If the foam board doesn’t hold up I’ll go to Draftboard.
My spice cabinet was looking pretty awful. It is one of those cabinets that has a lot of blind space inside of it that is difficult to access from the door, and there were a lot of spices shoved far back into that no man’s land.
So I started to think about a modular system of bins that could slide easily left-to-right and could be pulled out of the door of the spice cabinet and placed on the counter to be able to pull out the entire spice collection. I measured the doorway with wiggle margin. I was looking for a bin of 7.5 inches wide and 10.5 inches deep, or shallower.
Now, I hate shopping. I hate it with a passion. There was nothing I was less excited about than going to various bin container stores and trying to find just the right sized bins. Until I remembered that I had a Glowforge. This isn’t the thing I normally use my laser for. I normally use it for more decorative and artistic endeavors, but hey, duty calls!
So I went over to the Tray Generator and fired it up and plugged in my dimensions and out popped an SVG file that I later cleaned up and color coded in Inkscape.
Then, tonight, myself, the Glowforge, some packing tape, and a few panels of cardboard from some shipping boxes got busy.
It does what I wanted it to and can fit cleanly in the doorway of the spice cabinet!
And now my spice cabinet looks SO much better!
Now to tackle the tea, coffee, and hot cocoa shelf below the spices and the blender shelf above the spices!
Should you happen to have a spice cabinet of similar dimension, or any other use for this cut file, I’m providing the SVG for you. It was made to work with generic shipping box corrugated cardboard. It isn’t a tight fit so you will need packing tape to hold the panels on. But it does the job, and that is all that matters, practically.